To The Teacher Who Saved My Life Without Knowing It

I owe you more than you know.

54
Author's photo

You did more than just teach me how to write quality paragraphs or the laughable plays we acted out. Sophomore year of high school was one of the worst, most terrifying years of my life, but you were there with me through every step. When it perfectly worked out that I had you for senior year English, I may have shed a tear. If you ever read this, I know you will tell me “Why didn’t you line edit? Here’s a grammatical mistake. You used too many commas here.”

But that’s what saved my life. Is that odd to say you saved my life? You probably don’t know you did and you may never know you did.

My sophomore year included: my first boyfriend, my first breakup, my grandma being diagnosed with cancer again, self-harm and suicidal thoughts, and at the very end, a friend of mine passing away. So, a lot happened, and you never knew how much you helped me. Yet, every day coming into your class was a relief. Before your class I didn’t like public speaking, but every play we did, I was the first person to volunteer and you let me have big parts every time. This gave me the confidence to improve my life for the better. This gave me the confidence to speak up in other class, take a public speaking class, and end up talking in front of large crowds about my past. Even though you critiqued me harder than any other English teacher, you taught me to always pay attention to my wording and never sacrifice my morals or values for anyone. That year ended (and I’m glad it did), but the memories in your class didn’t. I held onto those important values you taught me and in your class, and used them to improve my life, grades, and attitude in general. I met my best friend in your class, who ended up saving my life multiple times that year. You saved me through your class.

Senior year was better, but stressful because of finding out where I was going and the fact I had to leave you at the end. You helped my confidence with writing college essays by showing me I can write quality paragraphs and that my life is actually interesting enough to write a personal essay about it. Our class had some heated discussions about religion, politics, and equality, but no matter what you enforced a level playing field and the moment arguments became illogical, you calmly stopped it. This taught me that sometimes arguments won’t end in a common resolution and that’s okay, but degrading your opponent is never okay. My last class with you was difficult because I had to accept the fact I would never be taught by you again. Luckily that was my last class of the day, because I cried on my way home.

So here’s to you Mr. English teacher, the man who inadvertently saved me. I will never forget you or how you improved me for the better. You taught me I can do anything with a little bit of confidence and a lot of line editing.

P.S. Big Brother and Essman are watching