The life of someone who just underwent gallbladder surgery

Taking A Look Back One Year Later

"Stagger onward rejoicing"

7
Taking A Look Back One Year Later
Emily Yaritz

This past year has been a dream and a whirlwind. Today marks one year since surgery so it feels like the right time to stop, sit back, and take a trip down memory lane.

It was about four months prior to my surgery that I started getting sick. Everything became a struggle and I really thought I had hit my lowest of lows. Little did I know that the next year was going to test me in more ways than I could even begin to imagine.

August 22 I found out that I would be having surgery on that Friday.

August 24, surgery day. The worst pain I had ever felt in my whole life. Getting discharged from the hospital that night and asking God to let me be able to start school just a week later.

Second night home from the hospital and I had an allergic reaction to the pain pills in the middle of the night. Crawling on my hands and knees to the bathroom. That very well could be my lowest of lows.

Beginning of September, against all better judgement I started college. I'll never forget having to have my friends carry my books because my incisions weren't even healed yet.

End of semester one, I finished with a 3.8 GPA. I proved to myself just how capable I am.

Second semester is when things took a turn for the worst. I started missing classes because I was so sick but I was living in denial that something was wrong again. But things were bad, they had gotten worse.

I somehow managed to finish my second semester but as soon as the school year ended I could barely get out of bed. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, and it ultimately leads to me having to take a leave from both of my jobs.

After another summer spent in doctors' offices I am happy to say that I am on the mend.

It took a team but I can out of this stronger than ever.

Today I am grateful.