Donald Trump Is Not My President
Politics

Donald Trump Is Not My President

It is time to fight hate with civil action.

20
Donald Trump Is Not My President
NBC News

This past week has not only been quite stressful due to school, but it has also been quite heart-wrenching. I say this because of the recent results of the election making Trump the President-Elected who shall succeed the wonderful President Obama come January.

At this point, I am not angry. I am not even disappointed. But at this point, I do feel very sorry. Sorry for those who blindly follow the lies of a man who degrades women and openly dismisses people based on their race and gender orientation. I am sorry that you have fallen for his façade of hatred and lies. I openly stand against him and his platforms. Not only does he support violence and the dehumanization of people who are not like him, but he stands true to his beliefs that global warming is a myth constructed by the Chinese (a belief that is completely unwarranted for considering that temperatures have well risen beyond those of 18 years ago with the past six months having risen 1.3 degrees celsius, 34.3 degrees Fahrenheit, than recorded in the late 1800's). He is a man who has openly spoken against my people, Mexicans and Hispanics of the like, accusing them of crimes of which higher percentages are committed by American-born citizens and not immigrants. He may now be the official president-elected, but in my eyes, he is just a man that where he lacked in qualifications for the position, he made up for in tactics of deceit by which he pulled in gullible American voters. If you do not believe yourself as having fallen into his trap, then props to you. You stand for a man who uses negativity and lies to get what he wants. If you are happy with your choice then go right on ahead, I'm not one to stop you. In the end, I am happy with my decision and stand true to my beliefs, so I am anything but inclined to let you stand true to yours. But let me tell you this: Trump has yet to actually take office and there have already been so many recorded hate crimes towards those who belong to a minority. Blacks, Hispanics, LGBTQ, Muslim, Asian, as well as women, all fall under categories of minorities that can and will be affected by a Trump presidency (or in this case, a pre-presidency). Keep in mind that those of you who voted for him, just placed all these groups of people in a state of fear and danger that could have been avoided.

As a woman, I am all for gender equality, but when having a president who not only degrades women but also believes that he can do whatever he wants with them without having consequences, now that is truly something to fear, especially as being a double minority myself. Women are not just objects that are to be used for men's pleasure, we are much more than that, and if Trump wants to go around blaming women's menstrual cycles for supposed "incompetence" then we as women must prove him wrong. Perhaps an overqualified woman who has had political experience since her youth was not allowed to win this year's election, but we must not lose hope that someday there will be a woman who is given the chance to lead America and to prove to sexist men that we are qualified for the job.

This is America, and despite the step back that this country has taken, I am still allowed to exercise the first amendment that was granted to me as an American citizen. I am Latina, and I am a woman, and I stand against Trump even now after the elections have taken place. I will not live in fear for myself, but rather in fear for my family, friends, and others who's lives may now change, although sadly not for the better. Now, after the election, may we use this feeling of dejection in order to instigate the civil movements that must be taken in order to ensure the safety and equal treatment of all people and not just the white supremacy that Trump desires to create within America.

And with that, I leave this quote, for despite the inevitable dark times ahead of us, the only one to remain fearful to is the Lord, and no one else.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10