Soulmates, Do They Exist?
relationships

To My Future Soulmate, If You Exist Please Stop Looking For Me

Are you out there? Really?

42
https://unsplash.com/photos/3spUhUvJ9A4

Every now and then, I like to believe that someone out there is the "perfect" person for me and that he actually exists. I'm quite doubtful that this "perfect" person is out there because I don't really believe in "soulmates". There are many things in life that I don't really believe in and that's one of them. One person that fits every standard of a potential love interest is insane and unrealistic to expect.

I'm a lover for love, but I don't really believe that exists, as well. Maybe it's because I haven't been in love before, which is why I'm pessimistic. I've met many people in my young life, but I've never been infatuated with one person entirely. Okay, I'm lying, it was one person many moons ago, but he wasn't the right one.

I'll meet amazing people, but I'm great at pin-pointing imperfections in myself and other people. If someone could ask me what one of my best qualities are, it would be finding imperfections in the best things around. Don't get me wrong, I have an idea of what I'm looking for in a potential love interest and I wouldn't consider myself too picky.

Everyone has standards and what they're searching for in a person, it's human nature to have those things listed out in your mind. I've always had an idea of this picturesque person in my mind for years. He'll look a certain way, talk this way, act like that, and know when the right time is for everything. You see, I can't expect this thought of a person in my mind to be a real human living out in the world.

Nobody is perfect, which I know for myself, I'm fully aware that my imperfections continue on an endless list. So, I can't expect a person to check off everything on my imagery lists that I've created. Now, this tangent was longer than it needed to be, but let me explain why I don't believe soulmates exist.

First, finding one person that'll fit all the qualities that you're looking for is basically impossible in life. If I'm looking for a romantic partner, I'm in search of a real person, not a fictional character fixated by media. The amount of time I've spent dreaming of this "ideal man" for years as a teenager. Now, at 20-years-old I'm aware that he doesn't exist.

Okay, I'm not saying that someone out there doesn't exist for me, but this accumulated version of a person doesn't exist. I know he's not really waiting for me at a coffee shop while I'm frantically typing away at my laptop on a Wednesday afternoon. Just drinking my almond milk latte when he comes over asking for my name and it's all history.

Soulmate, I know you're not out there waiting for me at the local shop trying to get to know me. I also know that he's probably not some random dude on Tinder that I've swiped right on at 2 in the morning attempting to fall asleep. Oh, soulmate, I know you're not out there, so stop looking for me.