The Philosophical Wisdom Of DJ Khaled

The Philosophical Wisdom Of DJ Khaled

They don't want you to read this.

111
The Philosophical Wisdom Of DJ Khaled
Hypetrak

Every culture has its great thinkers, wise men who help the common person understand the purpose of his life and the mystery of the cosmos. In the Eastern tradition, you have the Buddha, Confucius, Lao Tzu, and so on. In the West: Socrates, Aristotle, Nietzsche, etc. These days, there is not much of a premium placed on philosophy. We are too busy retweeting funny memes, filtering our selfies on the 'gram, or sending nudes on Snapchat.

But one man is changing that and has been chosen to fight fire with fire, overtaking social media and using it as a vehicle for wise teaching. His name is Khaled Mohamed Khaled, otherwise known as – DJ KHALED! (ALL I DO IS WIN, WIN, WIN, NO MATTER WHAT!)

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that DJ Khaled has indeed "got the keys." But what are these keys exactly?

What are the central tenets of DJ Khaled's inspiring brand of philosophy? What does he mean when he says "Let's win more," "Bless up," "You played yourself"? And who the hell is "they"? Why don't "they" want me to jet ski or eat breakfast?

Now maybe you're rolling your eyes. DJ Khaled is funny and all, but does he deserve to be called a philosopher?

The short answer: yes. The slightly longer answer: we are all philosophers. The lives we lead, including the beliefs we hold, the decisions we make, and the actions we take in our careers, in our social life, and in our times of privacy, all entail a certain philosophy. Whether or not it's a conscious or coherent philosophy is another matter, but the point is, every single minute we spend on this Earth says something about who we are as a person and how we think Life ought to be lived.

Truly, philosophy is not just a thought process or a field of study. It is a practice. It is a lifestyle. And DJ Khaled has quite a nice one. And, thankfully, he has been sharing it with the world through Snapchat.

So allow me to break it all down by taking a closer look at some recurrent themes in DJ Khaled's snaps.

Let's start with Chef Dee and breakfast. Routinely, DJ Khaled begins his snap story for the day by recording his morning walk to the kitchen to find out what his personal chef, Chef Dee, has got cookin' for breakfast.

He aims the phone's camera at his feet, usually in some sandals, with text that reads one of his catchphrases, such as "WE THE BEST" or "ANOTHER ONE." We watch his feet as he waddles into the kitchen, and he hypes up the anticipation saying, "Let's see, let's see..."

He turns the corner into the kitchen, and: "Chef Dee, what we got for breakfast?!" (His voice is #Boomin with enthusiasm.)

Chef Dee then rattles off a series of foods that will constitute the day's breakfast, all displayed on the counter as she names them.

The meals are appropriately big for the sizable man that DJ Khaled is, though the foods are generally "healthy" (in every regard but serving size).

The most interesting thing about this recurrent type of snap is some of the wise insights DJ Khaled then offers us as he sits down to eat his breakfast, one of the most compelling instances where he regularly invokes the infamous "they" who seem to never, ever want anything good for us – and most definitely "don't want us to eat breakfast."

Ok. So who is "they," you've been asking.

Well, "they" is no one specific; if it were, then he'd use a less ambiguous word. But since he makes use of the most generic pronoun possible, "they" can be anybody in the world, literally anyone who is hatin' on you, low-key wishing you harm. It can refer to the general culture – #society at large, with all its imposing norms, faulty values, consumerist impulses, and systematic creation of low self-esteem through advertising that is geared towards making us feel incomplete and needy.

But why wouldn't "they" want us to eat breakfast?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as they say. It is so basic and so vital. And what DJ Khaled is saying is that people don't want you enjoy the basics, let alone experience success. Our society is built upon our worries and insecurities, and our desperation to resolve them. Many people resist waking up in the morning, get up at the last second, and scramble frantically out the door to face the grueling, soul-sucking day that awaits them at work or school, and they do so on an empty stomach!

When DJ Khaled says "they don't want you to eat breakfast," he's acknowledging that the world at large, and even the people you think are your friends, really don't give two shits about your well-being. The system does not have your best interests in mind. No one cares about your health. And they certainly don't want you to find joy in the basic pleasures of life, like eating. Because then how would they convince you to feel like you need all these other things to be happy? And if you feel too good, then that just makes them look worse by comparison. You would be amazed how envious our "friends" can get of us. A person who not only says they want the best for us, but genuinely feels it in their heart as well, is the rarest of gems. Most people are licking their lips at the thought of you failing. #KnowThat

Another motif of Khaled's snap story is his rides on the elevator where he usually offers some cheesy metaphor for the ups & downs of life, you know...like an elevator goes up...and down...yeah. A banal platitude, for sure, but as the celebrated author David Foster Wallace once said, "In the day-to-day trenches of adult existence, banal platitudes often have a life or death significance." Honestly though, the whole elevator shtick is Khaled's weakest sauce. So let's get to his bomb shit.

The jet skis. Everybody loves jet skis.

What's better than seeing DJ Khaled roaring through the open water, screaming at the top of his lungs in pure ecstatic celebration for the amazing gift of life?

Nothing. Nothing is, okay? (Let me have this)

And again, "they" don't want you to jet ski. Because such pure joy is a luxury that your haters don't want to afford you. Get back to work. Be a sheep and a slave. If you're having too much fun, you're just going to make everyone else feel bad about their miserable lives of fear-based sacrifice and compromise.

But here's one of Khaled's keys. Whatever "they" don't want you to do, do it! They don't want you to eat breakfast? So what we gonna do? Eat breakfast. They don't want you to jet ski? So what we gonna do? Jet ski.

It is simple. Don't let anyone stop you from enjoying life. And trust him, everyone is trying to stop you, or at least low-key wishing the worst for you. As he puts it, not everyone who's clapping for you is rooting for you. And you know there are people in the corners of the room who aren't clapping at all.

Aight, so that sounds pretty gloomy. But do not despair, because DJ Khaled's philosophy is ultimately an inspiring one. If you were to go through all of his numerous pearls of wisdom and synthesize them, you could distill everything he says into one core value: gratitude.

This truly is his ultimate #majorkey.

We have heard time and time again from everyone and their mother the importance of gratitude. To have appreciation for the things and people we have in our lives, instead of always seeking more. But do we walk the walk?

No. If we walked the walk, instead of just talking the talk, our lives would look completely different. We'd worry less, smile more, buy less, enjoy what we have more, and DJ Khaled would be an unremarkable blabbering guy who'd just be telling us what we already knew.

But that is not the situation. What's going on is that DJ Khaled is offering insights that are genius in their simplicity, truths that maybe we know intuitively or have heard but have failed to integrate into our daily life.

Enjoy the crap out of your breakfast. Drink plenty of water. Life has its ups and downs. You know this ish! But we love to hear DJ Khaled say it with all his cheesy charisma. And we love to see him live it out on the daily, in ways we often don't.

Many of DJ Khaled's snaps show him practicing one of his favorite activities: gardening. Yes, DJ Khaled loves watering his plants. He does not pay someone else to do it, from the looks of his Snapchat anyway. He really really loves taking care of them. He shouts to them, "I Love You!" And while he does so, his prized lion statue stands in the midst of his bountiful garden.

"Lion!" he shouts in celebration and admiration. The lion is a symbol of power. Of the awesome beauty of life. To which DJ Khaled pays homage on the daily. As he cultivates his plants, he also cultivates his character, his virtues of self-discipline and stewardship, and his gratitude for the miracle of existence.

And that is really the most major of all the keys, to gratefully celebrate the gift of life. By enjoying breakfast, going jet skiing, watering your plants, and giving thanks. The bitter, envious "they" don't want you to do all that. So what we gonna do?

Close your laptop. Lock your phone, throw it in your pocket or purse. And get outside. Go have breakfast or lunch or dinner and relish it. Go jet ski. Water some plants!

You're alive! Isn't that awesome?