distance in relationships
relationships

Distance Really Does make the heart grow fonder

Don't smother the people you love.

292

Distance - this word can, and will, make or break any relationship. There should be some type of distance in any relationship or friendship. Everyone needs a break. I don't care how long you've been married, even husband and wife need distance. Friendships can crumble due to lack of distance.

Space is a necessity to maintain a healthy relationship.

Remember when you were in middle school, you and your best friend would stay with each other for weeks at a time? Usually, after a few days, you became tired of each other, bickering would start, and your parents would say "Y'all are tired of each other, take a break." Being so young this didn't make sense, but when two people are with each other nonstop you're bound to get into an argument.

Space is necessary for a friendship to stay strong.

While at college, I saw my best friends every day. But every day I had time set aside for myself, me time. Whether it be a nap or just time to reflect, and so did my friends. This isn't something that we talked about or agreed on, it's self-care which is common sense. True friendships are strong, and most great friendships can withstand distance and pick back up where they left off. That's the great part about finding a true friend. Side note: I am blessed with some amazing friends.

Relationships with family, especially with parents, are very similar. Living in the same house and being around them can really cause tension, let's face it, parents want to live their own lives and you want to live your own life. From experience, the distance between parents and kids is a positive effect.

Let me be clearer, enough distance for the kid to make their own decisions and be their own person, all while having their parents to fall back on when things get murky. And kids, let your family breathe, especially kids in high school. You play three sports and they come to all of your games and events, they have a life too. For college kids, you're there for the summer, they lived eight months without you, they did miss you, but they have a routine now, give them space.

And parents, don't be so hard on them, they just spent eight months cramming their brains with information, they just need rest and a place to stay for three months until they're off again. Give them space and let them live. But don't lose touch and communication. Still, be invested in one another.

Relationships with significant others: space is NEEDED in order to obtain a healthy relationship. If there's one thing you get from this article, it should be this: if you want things to work out, you need to maintain outside friendships and relationships with other people, so you don't drive each other insane.

I'm not saying to cheat, that's a negative, but I am saying to have friends. Have nights out with your friends without your significant other, go to your family dinners alone occasionally. Whatever it may be, just be your own person. I've always heard that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and I truly believe it does. But don't not commutate in your relationships and friendships. Too much distance can be a bad thing. The main thing is to not smother one another.

Distance is healthy.