The DeMarcus Cousins Heist

The DeMarcus Cousins Heist

How the Kings blew the Trade for DeMarcus Cousins

7
The DeMarcus Cousins Heist

On Sunday night following the All-Star game, the New Orleans Pelicans made a blockbuster trade by acquiring three time All-Star DeMarcus Cousins from the Sacramento Kings. And for what the Kings got back, the Kings turned out to be the biggest losers in the 2017 NBA trade deadline.

In the trade, the Kings acquired rookie Buddy Hield who’s had a disappointing first year averaging 8 points on 39 percent shooting according to espn.com, an injury plagued Tyreke Evans who’s had multiple knee surgeries, and Langston Galloway. The Kings also gained a protected first round draft pick, and a second-round draft pick.

Cousins didn’t even want to be traded from the Kings to begin with. Cousins told Marc Spears from theundefeated.com that he was told that he going to be traded three weeks ago. “I was just in shock,” Cousins said when he found out he was traded. “I didn’t understand.” When asked if he has talked to anybody from the Kings organization, he denied it but also said what he though of them. “Nah, for what? It was a cowardly move so I’m pretty sure I’ll get a cowardly response,” Cousins said.

And that wasn’t even the best trade available for Cousins according to Vlade Divac. On Monday following the trade, the former King, and now President of Basketball Operations said that the team had a better offer two days ago, but wouldn’t go into details.

Now the Kings will have to rebuild once again to make their first playoff appearance since 2006.

Meanwhile for the Pelicans, they now have two franchise pieces with Cousins and another All-Star in Anthony Davis that could be a force in the Western Conference if Cousins re-signs with the team when he becomes a free agent in 2018.

When you look back at the history of lopsided trades in the history of the NBA, this trade definitely needs to be included in the discussion.