Dear Coach

Dear Coach

By Being the Worst, You Taught Me the Most

28
Dear Coach
Palm Beach Post

Dear Coach,

It was the day after homecoming and 2 days before playoffs for high school soccer. You set up a scrimmage for us to get ready for playoffs. It was just a normal scrimmage but it was a lot of pressure. You told us if we don't play hard at this scrimmage we won't play during playoffs. It was my senior year, I needed to play for playoffs because it was my last year. Ill never forget that scrimmage, coach. I made sure I played my heart out, I went up for that header, like you wanted me to, Coach. That was my last game I ever played coach, why did you never check up on me?

It was my senior year, the best year of high school. I looked forward to prom, senior rights, and getting soccer scouts to offer me soccer scholarships. I worked my whole life to be able to play college ball. I missed dances, sleepovers, and other activities growing up so I could become better. I spent days on end trying to perfect a move so I could use it in a game. My whole life was soccer, Coach. My life was soccer, and that scrimmage ended that for me.

In the middle of my senior year of soccer, I was offered a chance to play college ball. It was the happiest day for me. It was the day that I was working my whole life for. I even told you coach and I hoped that would make you proud but it didn't. I should've played it safe after getting that offer, but I wanted to make the team proud. I dedicated my time and passion to this team even when you accused me that I didn't. I did coach, I did.

I had a past with concussions, all of this you knew. Even with all this information though, you still got mad when I wouldn't go up for a 50/50 header. It upset me. It upset me because you didn't bother to put yourself in your player's shoes. You never thought that if I were to go up for a head ball and get hurt that my soccer career was over. You didn't think about it until it was too late.

I went up for the 50/50 head ball during that scrimmage and come down hard with a concussion. You were not the first one on the field, coach. You never once rushed to see if I was even conscious. You let me down that day. Did you know that I drove to that scrimmage? You didn't, because after the scrimmage you never once came over to make sure I was okay to drive. I was dizzy, I could've gotten into a car accident that day. You never once made sure I was okay coach, even after that day.

I had to give up soccer after that concussion. I had to turn down my offers and I had to pack away my cleats. I never did get to play in my senior playoffs or even be there for my team. I never got to walk back onto a soccer field to play again, but you probably didn't know because you never asked.

I lost the opportunity to play soccer in college. I lost the opportunity to save my parents money because I had to turn down the scholarships. I lost the opportunity to make at least 20 friendships that would last a life time. I lost the opportunity to travel and play different teams. I lost the opportunity that I worked my whole life for because of that scrimmage.

I went into a depression, coach. I lost everything I worked so hard for. Soccer was my paradise and my release. It was 90 minutes of just pure and peaceful bliss and it was taken away from me. I do not completely blame you, you did not physically force me to go for the head ball. That was my decision but I blame you for not being a role model. You are not just suppose to be a coach, but someone to look up to for all your players. You're suppose to be someone that your players can go to when they need help. You're suppose to be friend also and I never felt like a friend to you.

I just wanted to thank you, coach. I bet you were not expecting that. I wanted you to know that I learned so much from you by learning what not to do. You taught me that my players are going to look up to me. They are going to want to make me proud so its important to show that you're proud. You taught me to always make sure my players are okay. I learned that I need to watch what I say to my players because words can affect them too. Making sure that they are not stressed or over worked. You eve taught me life lessons. You taught me to always be grateful of what you have at the moment because it can be taken. You taught me that not everyone is going to be nice to you, but still treat them with respect. You actually taught me that I need to be proud of myself and I thank you for that.I hope that one day you will learn from your mistakes and learn the lessons that you taught me. Shockingly, by being the worst, you taught me so much. I thank you for that.

Sincerely,

The player that you destroyed