A Day In The Life Of: A Soccer Player

A Day In The Life Of: A Soccer Player

Eat. Sleep. Soccer.

3855
A Day In The Life Of: A Soccer Player
Fans Share

Like any other sport, soccer has a lot of different attributes that make the game beautiful but a pain in the *name pretty much any body part* as well. Also like any other sport, when you're in season (or out) you go through a daily routine. For a soccer player, it's pretty much your average 'Eat. Sleep. Soccer'. Step into the cleats of a soccer player and read the list of 50 pains and gains soccer has to offer:

1. "I can't, I have soccer."

As a soccer player, between soccer practices, conditioning, two-a-days, soccer games, team bonding, etc. your schedule pretty much consists of 'Eat. Sleep. Soccer.' So yes the famous, "I can't, I have soccer" is a response you'll hear often.

2. *Taping your old cleats rather than wearing your new ones*

I probably have three pairs of cleats in my soccer bag, but do you know which ones are my go to cleats? Rain, snow, or shine my oldest pair of cleats are my favorite cleats. Some would say them and their old taped up cleats share this unbreakable bond.

3. Coach: "On the line!"

Oh boy. Yep. No soccer player likes to hear those three words. Running. Yeah we hate it; especially when coach is in a bad mood.

4. Soccer tan lines <<<

A soccer player spends all summer trying to get rid of those awkward tan lines. Its like you've finally got that even, golden tan and soccer season hits and now you're back to the "ombre gone wrong" legs with tanned knee caps, pale shins and even paler thighs.

5. "Good game. Good game. Good game. You suck. Good game."

Wishing the other team good luck before the game and you see your best friend... or an enemy.

6. Turf burns <<<

In my opinion, turf burns are worse than death and honestly, I wouldn't even wish them upon my worst enemy.

7. *Prewrap breaks*

It's a love/hate relationship us soccer players have with prewrap. Its like one second they (prewrap) is there for you; holding together your ankle or your crazy long hair and the next it (along with your heart) just snaps in half... generally around the time you are about to enter the game.

8. "I hate running. Why did I choose soccer?"

I love soccer, but hate running. Then why did I choose a sport that requires so much running you ask? Yeah, I don't know. Stay tuned, because I'm still trying to figure that one out.

9. *Getting new soccer gear and feeling like it's Christmas*

Oh boy! When coach says we are getting new gear this year, it is like it's Christmas in September!

10. *Ref makes a bad call*

Alright, so I can't say this happens frequently, but due to this gif I can't say it never happens. Just about every soccer player gets the urge to do this whenever a ref makes a bad call (sorry ref).

11. *Gets kicked right below your shin guard but feels like*

See shin guards are meant to protect your shins but every once in a while you get lucky (or not so lucky) and kicked just right below your shin guard and you can just feel a bowling ball forming on your shin.

12. *Clips ankle but feels like*

Whether its you who accidentally whiffed the ball and clipped your ankle or a defender who clips your ankle while going in for a tackle, it just feels like... welp *look at image below*.

13. "Sacrifice the body!"

Does any soccer player want to jump in front of someone kicking the crap out of a soccer ball? No. Are they expected to do it anyway? Yes.

14. *Steps on net trying to fetch your ball*

Does it happen to everyone? Yes. Is it frustrating and take you the rest of warm up to get out of? Yes. Would you rather crawl in a hole than sit there continuing to try and untangle your feet out of the net? Yes. Do I feel as frustrated as a tangled up pair of headphones? Yes. Would I rather just chop my leg off? Maybe.

15. *Shot hits the crossbar for the third time in the game*

Have you heard of the basketball saying "there must be a lid covering the basket"? Yeah, sometimes in soccer its like the crossbar has a ball magnet or the soccer gods just hate you and don't want you to score.

16. *When you can't decide whether to chest the ball or head it*

The picture explains itself.

17. *Gets megged*

No matter how many times a coach tells you "don't play flat footed", "curve your run and don't just go into a tackle straight on", or "don't stab", you will do it anyways and you will get megged for it.

18. Coach: "Okay. 120s today. Beep test tomorrow... and we will cool down with the Box of Death."

Worse day of a soccer player's life. Again, we hate running.

19. The soccer ball tattoo

A soccer ball tattoo: something that hurt to get, won't last forever, but we will cherish and show off for the time being.

20. "Sniper!"

Sometimes its like someone/something tripped you but you can't explain it and people will yell "Sniper!" because it looks like you randomly just fell... but "I swear someone/something tripped me!"

21. "Can I get 10 bags of ice please?"

As a soccer player your body will feel old by the age of 18 and you will get to the point of covering your body with 10 bags of ice at the end of every game/practice.

22. *When someone says they hate soccer because its boring*

You don't like soccer and think its boring? Well...

23. Jeans are actually your worst enemy.

As a soccer player, we tend to pick sweat pants over jeans. No matter the size of our waists, our thighs will always be three times as big.

24. *PGP (pregame poop/pee)*

No matter how many times I use the restroom before the game, I promise you I'll have to use it at least two more times during warm ups.

25. Your inner soccer ninja.

There will be a ball thats one hundred feet in the air, your coach will yell "GET SOMETHING ON IT!" or "IF YOU LET THIS BALL DROP, YOU'RE RUNNING ALL PRACTICE TOMORROW!" and your inner soccer ninja will appear out of nowhere.

26. The day after prom soccer game

At some point during a teenage soccer player's career you will have a game the day of or the day after prom and it'll probably be your hardest/worst game of your life and that is okay, we've all been there. At least that's what I told myself when that day came and I still had 58 bobby pins in a my hair that I had to hide from the ref and my leftover make-up still on.

27. *Whiffs the ball*

Striker, midfielder, defender, goal keeper, or even as a coach, this will happen to you and you will get laughed at. It's fine. It's oka— okay, I'm not going to lie. It's totally embarrassing.

28. The after goal celebrations

"You like that 360 bicycle from outside the box that went into the upper right corner? Yeah, me too."

29. Being in the wall for a free kick <<<

You step up to the wall for a free kick and its like all of a sudden you don't have enough padding and hands to protect your body and you'd rather get hit by a bus.

30. There's two types of soccer players: the good jugglers...

...and the bad jugglers...

Yeah, most of us soccer players are bad jugglers and no matter how much we practice, 22 juggles will be our highest record.

31. Soccer arms vs. Soccer legs

Call me "noodle arms" all you want, but my calves look better than yours in heels. *drops mic*

32. *Misses shot five feet from goal*

All I can say is that this happens at least twice a game and someone will yell "and it's good!" as if you made a field goal.

33. Coach: "Leave it all on the field!"

We hate losing. We hate tying. We especially hate going into overtime. Every game we play, we play with all we've got and leave it all on the field.

34. The soccer mom

You've got to love them for their comments that don't make sense, their soccer mom vans, their juice boxes and after game snacks, and simply them for being your number one fan! (Shoutout to my mom! Much love for you and your support!)

35. The soccer dad

It's a love/hate relationship we have for our dads, especially if they are your coach. You may yell at me for messing up, not running fast enough, or shooting the ball right at the keepers hands, but thank you for introducing me to this beautiful game and also for being a huge supporter! (Shoutout coach Walti! Much love for you and your support!)

36. The power knee

Need to clear a ball out of your defense of third, but its in the air and headed for your gut? Power knee that sucker out of the box!

37. The butt/lower back ball(gone wrong)

Goalie punted the ball high up in the air and you're too scared to head the ball? No worries, that's why God gave you a butt... yeah, I don't know. It happens.

38. The (not so) graceful looking action shots

Mom: "I've got some really good action shots and posted them on Facebook! Good game, honey!"

Me: *-___-*

39. The pregame rituals

Pregame rituals: hand shakes, pregame snacks, and locker room jam sessions; We all have them.

40. Fan: "What position do you play?"

Yeah, I hate this question sometimes.

41. The smelly soccer bags

No matter how many air fresheners, Febreze sprays, or how much we do our laundry, our soccer bags will smell like there's a dead animal inside of it and I apologize.

42. Coach: "Practice is still on!"

Don't worry about checking the weather. There's a 99% chance your practice is still on.

43. The smelly practice pinnies <<<

Don't trust your coach whenever he says that he's washed the pinnies. If you do have to wear practice pinnies, just don't breathe through your nose for the remainder of practice.

44. The every now and then own goal <<<

Every now and then you or a teammate will score an own goal. Its okay. Just keep your head up and keep working hard.

45. The anything but soccer conversations on the bench

I can tell you that bench conversations can range anywhere from what sounds good for dinner after your game to what episode you're on on "Orange Is The New Black."

46. *Hard hit to the boob/chest*

A hard hit to the boob/chest feels like what Pitch Perfect's Fat Amy felt like getting hit with a flying burrito.

47. The preseason conditioning <<<

Feels like hell, but its worth every mile, every 120 sprint and every ounce of sweat whenever you win your conference championship game. #HardWorkWins

48. When you know how practice is going to be by the amount of cones set out on the field <<>><><><>

My stomach tends to drop whenever I see a practice field of cones, because it could either be a really fun game that coach has set up for us or a really hard, confusing game that takes coach 30 minutes to explain.

49. Coach: "You don't need a ball."or "Bring your tennis shoes to practice."

This means running and again, we hate it.

50. Coach: "We're watching 'She's the Man' on the way to the game today."

*look at Channing Tatum for a preview of about 110% of every soccer player's reaction*