Dating In College As Told By Rachel Green

"Sometimes, things don't work out the way you thought they would."

201
Vulture

College is the time dedicated to finding yourself. It's also the time where you make lots of mistakes. Those mistakes include dating. Here is what dating is really like when you're in college, with a little help from Rachel Green.

1) "Wow, there are so many cute boys here."

You walk around on campus your first day in awe at all the cute boys around. Who knew there were boys out there past your hometown?

2) "Mom, I met my future husband!"

"Jack from Sigma Chi is really sweet," you say on the phone with your mom. "Maybe I should date him." But, three weeks later you realize your mistake when you walk into a party and see Jack kissing another girl.

3) "Okay, I promise I found a nice one this time."

You finally meet a decent guy in line at Starbucks.You two go on a couple dates and fireworks explode when he kisses you. You're falling in love with your first college guy.

4) "Are we exclusive?"

When you try to define the relationship, things just become complicated. You and Starbucks guy break up over Sunday brunch, unsure of what you both want. You spend the next couple weeks getting over him by kissing strangers and swiping left on Tinder like it's a game.

5) "I always thought love was easy."

During Wine Wednesdays you and your friends talk about how stupid dating is. With the occasional tears spilling, you ask the girls what they expected love to be like. Love looks easy in all those Rom-Coms.

5) "I'm just going to be single and take some time for myself," you say with excitement in your eyes.

You spend the rest of the term dancing with nameless boys, reading erotica and going on awkward Tinder dates.

6) "Well, I'm lonely."

Tinder sucks. Being single sucks. Waking up alone sucks. "I just want a boyfriend," you finally allow yourself to admit.

7) "Has Hayden always been this cute?"

Just when you think you are going to be alone forever you start noticing the way your lab partner looks at you. You decide to ask him out just to see where things go.

8) "I have my own drawer at his place."

You and Hayden end up getting pretty serious. You basically live at his house with your own toothbrush and everything.

9) "Maybe we are getting too serious, too fast."

Things start to get messy as the Honeymoon Stage fades away. You're getting sick of his drinking habits and it doesn't help that he keeps leaving the toilet seat up. You both decide a break will be good for your relationship.

10) "Is he seriously dating already!? It's been a few months!"

Scrolling through Instagram one day you see Hayden's most recent post with another girl captioned, "Glad I Met You." You Facebook-stalk the girl for weeks trying to figure out where she came from.

11) "How could he move on so quickly? I guess I should too."

Going on random blind dates seem to help ease the pain. Dates are fun and all but you keep thinking it was the real thing with Hayden. You and Hayden start being friendly again and still meet up for coffee.

11) "It's not over between us."

You get too wine drunk and walk over to his apartment in the cold. He opens the door with his sleepy smile and you fall into his arms, letting out all of the feelings you've been holding in.

12) "I don't need him."

That last night spent with him was an emotional mess of crying and talking about the whole relationship. You finally got everything off your chest and can now bask in the glow of closure.

College is a weird time. You spend four years in a new city with new faces and make many dating mistakes along the way. But the most important lessons you learn are that you don't need to be with someone to be happy. Your twenties are best spent just dating and experiencing new things. Dating is the best way to understand what it is that you truly want.