I Cry All the Time

I Cry All the Time

And it's okay.

63
I Cry All the Time
Cristian Newman

I cry all the time and honestly I'm okay with it. I used to think it was a sign of weakness but I now know it's just the way I deal with things. Everyone has different releases and mine just so happens to be crying. I'm not saying I cry everyday but I do cry at least once a month if not more.

How ridiculous is it that we have created this stereotype around crying? It's just amplified if you're a women. I'm not hysterical. I'm not too emotional to get anything done. Sometimes I just need a good cry.

First of all, I tend to cry when I feel after feeling overwhelmed or stressed, keyword here being after! While I'm stressed I work super hard to complete all the things I need to get done whether it is school work, research, or job related. After I work my butt off and finally get a chance to breathe I tend to cry. It's just a reaction from having my body and my mind in such a stressful state. I don't feel bad about crying. I've accomplished everything that needs to get done and now I can move on.

I also cry at a good book or movie. I love good movies and books and sometimes they just make me choked up. Like the last scene in It's a Wonderful Life. I've watched this movie every Christmas, it is my favorite Christmas movie and every single year without fail I bawl. I cry every time I read or watch the Reaping in the Hunger Games.

I cry when I am angry. For this to make sense I need to tell you a little about myself. Most of the time I am an positive and happy person. I love every season including winter so I don't really think I have seasonal effective disorder (though now it's March and I am ready for the snow to end). I love my dog and my parents and my sister and my friends and most of the time I'm in a really good mood. I rarely get angry. Truthfully. it's a very rare occurrence. When I am angry I feel my face and chest get hot and sometimes I get so angry that I cry. I don't know why, but I get so frustrated that it just happens.

The thing about crying is, there is nothing wrong with it. We've been culturally constructed to think that crying is a sign of weakness. We've been taught that a women crying just means she emotional and that she's probably on her period (which she might be) but why does that matter? People have all kinds of reactions to different situations. Some people laugh when they are uncomfortable, others make jokes when they're nervous. All of our reactions and emotions are our right to feel. They are all valid.