20 Creative Ways To Deal With Stress

20 Creative Ways To Deal With Stress

As a professional ball of stress myself, I know a thing or two about managing it.

4077
20 Creative Ways To Deal With Stress
Gawker

Do you feel like you've reached a point in the year where you're just overwhelmed? April is Stress Awareness Month, which makes total sense because it seems to be the month when students hit their breaking point. It's so close to the end of the semester that you can feel the pressure of finals start to wash over you like a tidal wave. At this point in the year, knowing how to manage stress is crucial to your success and survival through these last few weeks. As a professional ball of stress, I know a thing or two about how to deal with it. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of self-help articles on how to manage stress, but today let's explore some alternative methods you might not have tried yet.

1. Dance

It's common knowledge that exercise releases endorphins and helps with stress, but when you're stressed out, the last thing you want to do is run on a treadmill or do push-ups. Try putting on some of your favorite upbeat music and busting a move to a couple songs. You'll get the benefits of exercise but it'll be a lot more fun.

2. Have some chocolate

I mean… chocolate… need I say more? For those of you who aren't convinced of the validity of this technique, dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, which reduce blood pressure. Lower blood pressure = feeling less stressed. Chocolate for the win.

3. Eat oatmeal

This sounds like a super weird way to reduce stress, but hear me out here: oatmeal is high in potassium and magnesium, which lower blood pressure, making you feel less stressed. Grab a bowl for breakfast and start the day stress-free. Get double the stress relief by combining steps two and three with this delicious dark chocolate oatmeal.

4. Go outside

If the weather is nice, head outdoors to get some fresh air and sunshine. Take a leisurely stroll, have a picnic in the park with friends, play with your pet, or, if you happen to be someone who actually likes running, go for a quick jog around the block. Your body will get nutrients from the sun and you'll feel recharged and ready to tackle your responsibilities head-on.

5. Color!

Have you heard of the coloring sensation that's sweeping the nation? Coloring books for adults are a grown-up version of the pastime you loved as a kid. You can take a little break to decompress and color in the complex patterns and pictures. Research has already shown that coloring relaxes you, focuses your mind, and promotes creativity.

6. Have a glass of OJ

Orange juice (or anything rich in vitamin C) has been shown to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. If you're really stressed, you can even throw a little vodka in there for good measure. Just kidding… alcohol probably isn't the best approach. We'll just stick to plain OJ for now.

7. Light a candle

Watching a flickering flame has a calming effect on most people. Pick a calming scent like lavender, vanilla, peppermint or lemon.

8. Get a hobby

Play a sport, knit a scarf, take up gardening, read a good book. It doesn't matter what you do, just take some time to focus on an activity that you really enjoy.

9. Organize, organize, organize

Clutter is stressful, so the simple act of cleaning up your space will help you feel better. You'll feel more productive and peaceful without all that stuff filling up your work area.

10. Clean

On that same note, cleaning tasks with repetitive motions like vacuuming or ironing make it easy to zone out and release stress. Plus, you'll have a super clean house, so you won't have to be stressed about that anymore!

11. Do a puzzle

You could also build something with LEGOs or solve a Rubix Cube. These activities help your brain focus on a simple but rewarding task.

12. Compliment someone

Smile, even if you don't really feel like it. Be friendly. Pay someone a sincere compliment. Strike up a pleasant conversation while you're waiting in line for your morning coffee. Positive connections benefit everyone and you'll feel happy and serene.

13. Look at patterns

Fractals or swirling patterns have a calming effect on the brain. Researchers recommend focusing on these patterns for 20 minutes a day to decompress.

14. Take off your shoes

This sounds silly, but the simple act of taking off your shoes can help you feel less restrained and more relaxed. Place your feet flat on the floor and flex and relax your toes to feel grounded and calm.

15. Cry it out

This one isn't very fun, but sometimes it's necessary to have a good cry and get everything out. Did you know that crying rids your body of toxins? If you feel like you're at a breaking point, it might be a good idea to take some time to get away from everyone and let it out. Don't try to suppress your emotions. If you feel like you need to cry, just go for it. You'll feel so much better afterward.

16. Pet a puppy

There's a reason therapy dogs make frequent visits to OU. Dogs know how to respond to human emotion, so petting them significantly lowers blood pressure and makes us feel better. Besides, can you really be stressed when you're petting a cute puppy?

17. Change your thought process

If you catch yourself stressing out over your seemingly endless to-do list, try changing your approach. Instead of thinking "I have to do this, this, and this," think "I get to do this." Make everything sound like a really cool opportunity instead of a mundane chore to remind yourself that what you're doing has a purpose. Treating it as an opportunity instead of something to check off a list will motivate you and help you think positively about what you're doing.

18. Sing

Singing is a great way to express yourself and blow off some steam.

19. Watch a comedy

Laughter increases blood flow to the heart which helps calm you down. Additionally, smiling sends messages to your brain indicating that you're happy, even if you feel like you're three seconds away from being buried under an avalanche of stress. Your brain releases dopamine as a result of receiving these messages and you'll instantly feel better.

20. Breathe

This one isn't so creative, but it's probably the most important stress management technique to remember. Stop everything and take a few minutes to focus on your breathing. Inhale through your nose for four counts, hold for seven counts, and exhale through your mouth for eight counts. This technique will slow your heart rate and relax you. Try not to think about what's stressing you out. Focus on feeling the air in your lungs. After a few moments of this, you should feel refreshed and ready to take on anything.

Life gets hectic and out of control sometimes. On the tough days, remember to take time out to care for yourself. The more stressed you let yourself get, the more it interferes with your happiness and productivity. Slow down, calm down, and manage it. You can do this.