COVID-19: Why Vaccinations Are Crucial

COVID-19: Why Vaccinations Are Crucial

The recent pandemic is a prime example of why vaccinations are so important. Without vaccinations, widespread sickness could occur with common viruses and bacterias such as the yearly flu, whooping cough, and diphtheria.

42
COVID-19: Why Vaccinations Are Crucial
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-what-vaccine

COVID-19 has rocked the world. A mysterious virus that was rampant in populated areas of the world and it forwent country lines. Nicknamed Corona Virus, COVID is not the first pandemic this world has seen. 1918 Pandemic of H1N1; 1957 Pandemic of H2N2; 1968 Pandemic of H3N2; 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. As tried with any major disease, a vaccination for Corona is trying to be worked out. If it is developed--will you be getting it? What are your reasons for your answer?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/top-covi...

Vaccinations stem hundreds of years in history. The most famous being Edward Jenner's success in creating a form of immunity for smallpox. Note: his innovation eventually ERADICATED smallpox. So, how exactly do these things even work? Vaccines function by exposing your body to a bearable amount of the disease. This allows your body to develop a natural immunity to the bug before you have exposure to it in the real world where it may be strong enough to make you sick. In many cases, the immunity you have built against a germ will be with you for the rest of your life.

Okay, why is it important for your body to be immune to a disease? Having a defense built against a germ can prevent you from getting the full sickness the virus/bacteria may cause. But, there's an even more important reason to get vaccinated. It is called herd immunity. Definition: the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination. This is so incredibly important for people in the community who are immunocompromised. These people need protected because of their susceptibility to the disease--they have a weakened defense. If a majority of the people around are immune, immunocompromised individuals are more safe and have a much lower possibility of getting the bug.

The herd to the rescue: How an invisible shield can keep us healthy

The herd to the rescue: How an invisible shield can keep us healthy www.statnews.com

Let's think of a world where vaccinations were not encouraged. Diseases that have been latent for years and decades would emerge. Think of them: polio, tetanus, Hepatitis B and A, rubella, measles, pertussis (whooping cough), and so many more. (Click the link attached to the list to read more about these diseases). A prime example occurred in the 1970s in Japan. About 80% of Japanese children were being vaccinated for whooping cough--in 1974 there were 393 cases with no deaths. Well, then rumors started about the vaccine not being safe and the vaccine not being needed (sounds familiar, right?). A few years later the vaccination percentage fell to 10%. in 1979, a whooping cough epidemic occurred. That year there were more than 13,000 cases and 41 deaths. Preventable deaths.

Do vaccines cause autism? The report claiming there is a relationship between the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine to autism was full of LIES. The man making those claims was found guilty of deliberate fraud.

But, wait! Babies are so small, there is no way they can handle vaccines. Let's think on this one. Compare a controlled vaccine to whatever the baby is being exposed to when they are gnawing on the handle of the shopping cart while at the grocery store. Not comparable! Babies are amazingly strong. And, don't downplay the capability of the immune system.

I don't get the flu vaccine, because it gives me the flu and I am sick for a week. Coincidentally, the flu vaccine has no live virus. That's not the flu you are experiencing. Flu vaccines contain the dead virus--it is not able to infect you.

In review, vaccines are important! For your own health and for the health of those around you. Do not fall into the myths and lies that may circulate about vaccines, seek professional advice before believing controversial claims. If a COVID-19 vaccine is developed, I encourage you to get it. Who knows if we may see it again in a couple dozen years--you will have a better defense than a face mask.