How To Keep Good Mental Health During Coronavirus

7 Simple Ways To Be Kind To Your Mind While You're Social Distancing In Your House

Being stuck inside can be miserable, but it doesn't have to be.

355

Life is stressful enough as it is but throw in the unpredictability of a world-wide pandemic, and you have a recipe for bubbling mental turmoil. Now, more than ever, it is important to be kind to your mind and mental well-being in order to make it through this difficult period. It is completely valid and normal to feel anxiety, sadness, loneliness, and restlessness. Here are some worthwhile ways for you to show your cranium a little kindness and find normalcy in the chaos!

1. Establish a routine and set manageable goals

Simple accomplishments like planning out your day and completing small tasks such as making the bed or getting dressed can be rewarding mentally. Creating a routine or stability gives you a sense of control over your daily life.

2. Enjoy the outdoors

If you have the freedom to enjoy mother nature, take advantage of that opportunity! Walking outside is shown to improve mood and mental clarity. This will also minimize feelings of restlessness and create diversity in your daily routine.

3. Utilize your extra time to learn something new or accomplish delayed tasks

This is the perfect time to learn more about a specific subject that may interest you or to acquire a new skill. There are tons of easily accessible tutorials and informational videos on YouTube. Also, if you pride yourself in being an expert procrastinator, this is the best time to complete tasks that you may have been putting off.

4. Practice mindful activities and journal 

In the mental flurry of worries and ever-changing circumstances, it is crucial to gain a sense of mindfulness and appreciation for the present moment. Activities such as journaling, meditation, yoga, and working with a mental health professional are instrumental in feeling good internally. There are wonderful apps such as Calm, Headspace ($9.99/annually student plan), and Talk Space (an online platform that connects you to licensed mental health professionals).

5. Limit social media exposure

Although it is a privilege that we are able to communicate and connect with people all across the globe via social media, we should be conscientious of our usage during this time period. A major influx of news can be overwhelming and lead to overthinking. Take a break from the screen. Go focus on your present moment.

6. Get active

Even though it is insanely tempting to binge watch several seasons of your favorite show on Netflix, your mind and body will thank you for taking a break from the TV. There are so many great resources online of free workout videos. However, if you cannot bear to part with your beloved show, find ways to be physically active while watching.

7. Breathe, it will all be ok 

This is a rough time for everyone. You are not alone. Call a friend, talk to a loved one, or write about how you are feeling. Whatever you are going through, you are loved.

From Your Site Articles