Coming Home for Break Freshman Year Vs Sophomore Year

It is an extremely different experience

57
Alex Feehan

There is a big difference between coming home freshman year of college for your first break and coming home sophomore year. I remember about this time last year I was so happy to be home, I would’ve stayed home forever and I had absolutely no desire to go back to school. I was extremely homesick and I hadn’t found my place at college yet. I was pretty much miserable. When that break in October came I could not wait to get on the bus and go back to Long Island. I remember seeing the lights of New York City and actually tearing up a bit because I missed it so much. I missed my family, my friends and just the feeling of comfort and familiarity. That break I told my mom I didn’t want to go back to school, I just wanted to stay home. She told me I had to go back of course and honestly I am so glad that she didn’t just let me quit right then and there.

As I sat on the same bus this year, my sophomore year, it felt different. I was so happy to be getting away from the stress of the school year and to come home to see the city and island I missed dearly, but I also knew in the back of my mind that I was really going to miss York. Of course, I was insanely happy to get to see my friends and family, who I missed so much, but I knew that this time at the end of break I would be happy to go back too. This is something I definitely was not feeling when I had come home for break for the first time freshman year. Honestly, I do still get homesick from time to time, but I have finally found my place at York and I’m extremely grateful for that.

It’s fascinating how so much can change in just a year’s time. Fall break of freshman year I spent the whole time dreading going back which made the whole break anxiety ridden and go by way faster than it should have. I was holding on to the moments with my friends and family and trying to make the time move slower. Of course, break was fun, but I was spending too much of it in the future and not enough in the present. This year I have spent the time living in the moment and making numerous amazing memories with my friends and family. As a freshman I felt scared and alone my first few months of college and now as a sophomore, just one year later, I’m more confident and happy than I thought I ever could be and I love it.

I’m so happy my mom didn’t give in to my whims freshman year of leaving York because if she did I wouldn’t have a lot of the amazing friends I have today. I also wouldn’t be on the campus activities board, in my singing group the Enharmonix and I wouldn’t be gaining amazing experiences in the education program. I love my home and everybody here and I love my college and everybody there and I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world.