college vs pro sports

The NBA Has Turned Into A Joke and the NFL Is not too far Behind

With the Warriors' signing of Demarcus Cousins, the NBA can no longer compete with the NCAA's superiority.

374
upload.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia

If you were an NBA fan before July 2nd, chances are good that you've already told people you're not watching a single game this year—especially if you're a Cavs fan. The Warriors, winners of two straight NBA Championships and already considered the best team in the league, added DeMarcus Cousins, who is arguably the NBA's best center. The super rich just got insanely richer. People are saying their starting five could beat the East All-Star team in five games, maybe four. As someone who doesn't have much of a stake in the NBA, I think it's hilarious that Golden State is going to win 75 games this year. But as someone who pays attention to all sports pretty much equally, it's ridiculous that one team could be able to have so much star power.

Many fans are calling out commissioner Adam Silver, saying he needs to take action and block the signing somehow, as everyone knows the Warriors are going to win the Finals again. Regardless of what ends up happening with Boogie Cousins and the rest of the league, this new addition to the Warriors has made one thing clear that many of us already knew: college football and basketball are better than the NFL and the NBA, and it's not close. This has become obvious in basketball for the reasons I just stated. The volatility and intensity of March Madness are unrivaled by the recently boring and crazy predictable NBA Playoffs. The Eastern Conference as a whole has basically no chance of even winning a game in the Finals, and the Western Conference Final between Golden State and Houston might not go more than five games. Long story short, I'd rather watch NCAA basketball any day of the week.

The NFL is much less top heavy than the NBA, but college football is more passionate, more entertaining, and more diverse than its professional counterpart. College stadiums hold more fans and have better tailgates, and the fans tend to take each game more seriously, as a single loss can ruin a team's playoff hopes. The NFL's commissioner, Roger Goodell, is also one of the most hated men in sports—not something you want from the guy in charge of your league. The league is riddled with arrests, scandals, and suspensions year after year; college is much cleaner in general, as students are trying to keep their reputations tidy to try and get to the League.

Possibly the best argument for NCAA over professional football is that no one—not even the refs—knows what a catch is in the NFL. Every weekend you have rules expert Mike Pereira on Fox ramble on about what a "tuck" or a "football move" is, only to be wrong about his prediction for what the refs will call more often than not. When you couple that with the deadly combo of PAT, commercial, kickoff, commercial, watching the NFL becomes pretty much insufferable unless you have NFL Redzone, which is pretty much the only acceptable way to watch nowadays.

The NBA gets worse and worse every year, and the NFL is corrupt, but NCAA hoops and football have remained consistently entertaining for years. Both of the pro leagues' ratings are getting lower and lower each year, and fans are starting to jump ship. If the commissioners and their henchmen don't figure out a solution soon, two of the biggest pro sports leagues in America could be finding themselves bankrupt before they know it.