College Football Takeaways: Week One

College Football Takeaways: Week One

With week one of college football in the books, how will teams adjust for week 2?

23
College Football Takeaways: Week One
Chain Image

College football is back. Week one left a memorable impression and made for plenty of Tuesday conversation starters. With 87 matchups taking place between August 26 and September 5, week one of NCAA football ended with plenty of devastating upsets and unbelievable victories that will leave fans talking about for weeks to come. Here’s a recap of just 3 of the most notable and memorable match ups from week 1.

Alabama vs. Southern California

Head coach Nick Saban and his team defeated 17th ranked University of Southern California 52-6.

Biggest Take Away: ‘Bama’s defense held USC to a measly 194 yards of total offense, and more importantly, held them to zero touchdowns, something that hasn’t been done since November 1, 1997. First, ‘Bama remains top spot in College Football. Secondly, true freshman Jalen Hurts made his college football debut with an impressive 4 touchdowns.

What to Watch For: Saban is still in the process of deciding his team’s starting QB. During their game against USC, Saban played both true freshman Jalen Hurts and redshirt freshman Blake Barnett. Following the game, Saban said he plans on doing the same for week 2 against Western Kentucky. Hopefully week 2’s matchup against the Hilltoppers will provide Saban with some clarity and an answer to the pressing quarterback questions.

LSU vs. Wisconsin

No. 5 LSU fell to unranked Wisconsin 16-14. Not only did they give up 339 total yards, they only managed 257 yards of their own.

Biggest takeaway: Wisconsin is now ranked no. 10 in an AP poll (their highest ranking since 2011) following their win over LSU. They have great momentum and home field advantage on their side heading into week 2 with a matchup against Akron.

What to watch for: Everyone will be watching to see how LSU, especially its defense, redeems itself after a horrendous season-opening performance. LSU’s new defensive coordinator Dave Aranda will most likely be spending every waking moment with his nose in the playbooks in preparation for competing against Jacksonville State and future opponents.

FSU vs. Ole Miss

Talk about saving the best for last. The final matchup of week one was without a doubt the most exciting, Florida State defeated Ole Miss 45-34 after trailing 28-3 at one point.

Biggest takeaway: The Seminole’s victory over Ole Miss was the biggest comeback in the program’s history.

What to watch for: Will the Seminoles’ defense continue its dominance into week 2 and beyond? Keep your eyes on defensive trio Derwin James, Marcus Lewis and Tarvarus McFadden, who each scored their first college career interceptions against Ole Miss.

How will week 2 compare to week 1? Don’t expect to see any record-shattering performances or as many unexpected upsets as opening weekend. Teams have had a week to prepare and adjust according to their week 1 performance and will most likely play smarter and take less risks.