To The High School College Advisor Who Changed My Life

After my first year of college, I have realized that the few times I said "thank you" weren't enough. So here it is again, "Thank you, Peter Wilson."

450
Joanna Cygert

I can’t say that I’ve always dreamed of going to college, but someone else was dreaming that for me. My greatest supporter and believer: my mom. I’m sure you’ve heard the typical immigrant story--the one where people from a less fortunate, less free, and less wealthy country desire the pursuit of “life, liberty, and happiness,” so they set out on a journey to The United States of America, to achieve their dream of a better life. My family was one of those people. We still are. This country has given us privileges, privileges we appreciate regardless of what is going on in the economy and political world. One of the biggest privileges I have is being able to receive a college education. But even so, getting into a great four-year college was my doing, my hard work, my determination, perseverance, and strength. Although my mom is my biggest supporter in everything I do, I have someone else to thank for the start of my journey into a four-year college: Peter Wilson. I have a lot to thank him for.

Mr .Wilson,

I’m sure you’re not expecting this. Neither was I. But I’ve been reflecting back on my first year at Marist College, and truthfully I don’t think that I would have done so well if it weren’t for your critical and sometimes harsh comments, stories about the real world, and life lessons that have stuck with me. I owe you and other BSGE faculty/staff a “thank you” for everything I have learned in my six years at BSGE. But here I would like to thank you specifically. It’s been about a year since you’ve read any of my work, or should I say personal statements and such, so if I have accidentally included any grammatical or writing errors, I apologize. After all, you were a pro at weaving out my mistakes--and we both know there were lots of them. So bear with me if I have forgotten some of the constant writing errors you warned me about. But I do remember some of the things that you often said.

I follow the West African tradition of call and response.

This is kaka.

Justify your margins.

Savages.

Show don’t tell.

Stop smoking crack.

Yuck.

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

Did you even read this over?

These are just a few things that come to mind. I used to think that some of the statements you made were too harsh or “extra.” I’m sure that myself and others were annoyed with your nonstop remarks that sent us back to our seats, back to fixing whatever we were writing. Throughout the college application process, I was an annoyed teenager. Annoyed that my college advisor thought he knew everything about the process. Annoyed that my college advisor kept telling me what to do and how to do it. Annoyed that my college advisor believed that his way was the best way. But you were right. Your advice and constant help is what sculpted me into the college student I am today. You always answered my long list of questions, whether they be about financial aid, life at college, or the quality of my work. My senior class endured long hours with you in the school library. You sat in your designated seat for hours, helping us refine our supplements, personal statements, student profiles, and so much more. But you stayed to make sure that we were generating quality writing. You stayed to make sure that we would have a future at a four-year college, that we could have a chance in making it in this world. You were always somewhere in the building, ready to be available to us. And as much as I hated it, waiting in the hour long lines outside of your office was worth it. Going through the college application process with you was valuable to me. And that’s because you made me the undergraduate student I am today.

Everyone knows you’re good at what you do. You’re great. And you know it too. But receiving your help and compassion during the college process at the Baccalaureate School for Global Education was more than just about getting into college. It was about being ready for college. It was about being ready for the obstacles that we were going to face in the future, the challenges, and the consequences and rewards that resulted from our choices. I would be lying if I said that I didn’t think the words, “Show don’t tell,” every time I wrote a story or an essay in my Writing for College class this semester. I would be lying if I said that you’re not the reason I proofread all of my work before handing it in. And I would by lying if I said that you’re not part of the reason why I was prepared for this. You taught me how to be prepared for college, along with other faculty and staff at BSGE, like Jennifer Dikes, Connie You, Jim Napolitano, Virge Ramos, and Vanessa Rabines. I’m thankful for all of the life lessons, criticisms, as well as personal and academic advice I have received from working with you and other BSGE faculty/staff. But I want to specifically thank you for believing in me during the process. Thank you for guiding me towards the path of success and for making me the confident college student I am. You’ve taught me many things, but most importantly you have taught me how to be prepared for life. Thanks to your help, I am a first generation college student at Marist College, learning more about myself and the world around me. And if I haven’t said it enough, let me say it again.

Thank you Peter Wilson. I am forever grateful.