How Different Countries Celebrate Christmas

Christmas looks a little bit different.

192

We all know that each country has their own unique culture, which means they celebrate things in different ways. While Christmas is important in the United States, it is also celebrated all over the world, but Christmas in other countries looks a little different than here in America.

1. Germany

media.giphy.com

German children hold a similar belief as American kids that a Santa figure will bring them presents on Christmas Eve, December 24th, but some children also hope that 'der Nikolaus' will bring you some small gifts, such as sweets and chocolate on the 6th December (St Nicholas's Day). He comes in the night between the 5th and the 6th and puts the presents into the shoes of children, who usually place them by their doors. He might also knock on the door and the children will have to sing a song, play a song on an instrument or tell a story to St Nicholas before he gives them their presents.

2. South Africa

media.giphy.com

South Africa is in the southern hemisphere which means that their Christmas holiday is during the summer. South Africans get to enjoy lots of sun during the holiday. They actually celebrate their Christmas in very similar ways as Americans do, putting stockings up, going caroling, and having a Christmas morning church service. A unique thing that South Africans do is go camping during Christmas.

3. Canada

media.giphy.com

Canada is a very large country and like the United States has a wide variety of people with unique backgrounds. This leads to a mixture of Christmas celebrations. People in Canada send Christmas Cards to their friends and family. Many Canadians open their gifts on Christmas Eve. Some only open their stocking on Christmas Eve. Others choose one gift to open, then save the rest until Christmas Day. The Santa Claus Parade in Toronto is one of the oldest and largest Santa parades in the world! It started in 1913 when Santa was pulled through the streets of Toronto. Children along the route followed Santa and marched along with him. It's been taking place for over 100 years and now is a huge event with over 25 animated floats and 2000 people taking part! It's broadcast on TV around the world.