These Chick Flicks Will Never Get Old

These Chick Flicks Will Never Get Old

I think about the movie ‘Sleepover’ at least ten times a day

1128
These Chick Flicks Will Never Get Old
Hailey Hastings

Listen, I am a simple gal, I just want to watch rom-coms or teen movies, or both, in peace and be able to write about how much I love Justin Long.

He’s Just Not That Into You (2009)

justin long friend GIFGiphy

Did you guys really expect anything other than this article opening with a movie that allows me to gush about Justin Long? This is what I live for. ‘He’s Just Not That Into You’ is my favorite kind of rom-com, where there's a star-studded cast with ten-plus storylines that are all neatly wrapped up in the end with the best bow.

Plus, sometimes delusional people, like myself need a little reminder about being the rule, not the exception.

Sleepover (2004)

evan peters boys GIFGiphy

‘Sleepover’ is this gem of a film that not enough of you are talking about, and frankly, I am over it. Everything about this movie was expertly crafted, from the soundtrack that was largely done by Allister (the greatest early 2000s band) to the casting of comedy giants like Steve Carrell, who was playing Michael Scott at the time, to Jane Lynch to Jeff Garlin.

And Steve Phillips? Yeah, that’s my dream man.

I also had a crush on Mr. Corrado, but I don't want to talk about that in any further detail.

The Perfect Man (2005)

Oh No Ugh GIFGiphy

Hilary Duff owned my childhood, she was in three of the best movies of all time, and all three of those will be talked about in this article. ‘The Perfect Man,’ when you think about it was indeed the original ‘Catfish’ Story. This film was also my introduction to Ben Feldman, who is a national treasure.

I fell in love with New York because of this movie, which has led to me traveling there and falling even further in love.

Raise Your Voice (2004)

GIF by GoPlayGiphy

Movie number two in the Hilary Duff saga is ‘Raise Your Voice.’ ‘Raise Your Voice’ did many things for me, it introduced me to Three Doors Down, and also traumatized me with the death of Paul. It also made me that annoying person that has to point out every time im in downtown L.A that this is where they shot ‘Raise Your Voice.’

I love this whole film with my whole heart, but especially love getting to see Terri really find herself.

Mean Girls (2004)

Happy Mean Girls GIFGiphy

There was no way I was doing this article without mentioning ‘Mean Girls.’ I would be attacked and shamed. Arguably, ‘Mean Girls’ is the most quotable movie of all time, even if you aren’t the films target audience, you’ve more than likely seen the movie, or at least are aware of it’s existence. ‘Mean Girls’ has stood the rest of time and genuinely hasn’t lost relevance, in fact, still today it comes up in almost every interview with anyone from the cast.

She’s The Man (2006)

shes the man GIFGiphy

Amanda Bynes is another person who ruled my childhood. She was in everything. And appears, like Hilary Duff, three times on this list. ‘She’s The Man’ was a cultural reset. I talk about this movie like it is peak cinema, and that’s because it is. From Channing Tatum being what dreams are made of, to being the only time ill ever care about soccer, this movie has a lot to offer.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

heath ledger love GIFGiphy

Heath Ledger. That’s it!

‘10 Things I Hate About You’ was filmed about thirty minutes away from where I grew up so I feel like naturally, I have to love it. This movie was the launching pad for not just Heath, but also Julia Styles who was a staple in the early 2000s.

Easy A (2010)

Emma Stone Burn GIF by PeacockTVGiphy

‘Easy A’ launched Emma Stone into superstardom, and she hasn't slowed down at all since. The writing on this film was fantastic, and they made Olive such a badass character who displayed real character growth throughout the film. Plus, you will never find me complaining about Penn Badgley being the love interest in a film.

I was never a ‘Gossip Girl’ fan so this was my introduction to Penn.

A Cinderella Story (2004)

hilary duff GIFGiphy

Rounding out our Hilary Duff trifecta, ‘A Cinderella Story,’ acts as my introduction to Jennifer Coolidge, who I love more than life itself. (I didn’t watch ‘American Pie’ I don’t get those references) The amount of iconic lines in this movie is insane, “you’re not very pretty, and you’re not very bright’ is pure comedic genius.

And Sam going on her rant in the locker room? Yeah, that was a bit iconic.

The Princess Diaries (2001)

Princess Diaries Eyebrows GIFGiphy

Out of all of these films, ‘The Princess Diaries’ is the one I am most in need of another installation of. Is Chris Pine still in the picture? How is Mia handling being queen? I need to know everything. This movie is such a comfort film for me, and I watch it at least once every few months.

And yes, I did make every filming location a must visit on my latest trip to San Francisco. I regret nothing.

Legally Blonde (2001)

reese witherspoon endorphins GIFGiphy

Elle Woods is THE feminist icon. ‘Legally Blonde’ is one of the best films of all time, and yes, I can already hear the film bros about to jump in to talk about some boring action movie from the 1900s that i don’t care about, and I am unfazed. This movie gave us so many things that still are so relevant, the bend and snap, the iconic hot dog line, and my crush on Luke Wilson.

The sequel is going to be my joker. I will never stop talking about it.

Life Size (2000)

Tyra Banks Disney GIFGiphy

‘Be A Star’ alone deserves its own article, Tyra Banks is a permanent icon for that song. ‘Life Size,’ to me, has always felt like a warm hug. This film allows you to tap into a childlike imagination while still being such an empowering, coming of age movie, something that at the time, was new for Disney.

And yes, i’ve seen the sequel, and i forgive Tyra for making it.

Aquamarine (2006)

sara paxton film GIFGiphy

When I refer to the golden trio please know I will always be referring to JoJo, Emma Roberts and Sara Paxton in this film.

‘Aquamarine’ is one of those movies that no matter how many times I watch it, it still makes me so full of unadulterated joy. The soundtrack is injected with actual sunshine, and I had a crush on Raymond that could honestly have gone up against any of the golden trio’s.

I need a sequel so badly. Years later the girls meet back up, it has to happen. I have a lot of ideas, studios can hit me up.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018)

Lana Condor Tatbilb GIF by NETFLIXGiphy

I will not apologize for how much I love this series of movies. Obviously the first film is the best, but genuinely it’s such an incredible coming of age love story. Not only was I beyond happy to see my guy Noah Centineo getting the flowers he deserves, but we also got to see a star be born with Lana Condor. The way she portrayed Lara Jean makes for one of my favorite casting choices in years.

P.S I also wrote letters to every boy I liked until, well, actually, I am still actively doing that. If those letters ever got into anyone else’s hands that would actually be the end for me.

There’s Something About Mary (1998)

Movie GIFGiphy

Not enough of you are talking about what a pillar in comedy ‘There’s Something About Mary’ is, so i’ll do it for all of us. Now usually I find Ben Stiller utterly intolerable, however, this is the one performance I can stand. Cameron Diaz gives a career-making performance as Mary, she was everything I wanted to be.

I still have the song memorized. An absolute jam.

Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging (2008)

aaron johnson love GIFGiphy

The Stiff Dylans are the best fictional band of all-time, you can agree or be wrong.

‘Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging’ is a pure perfect British export. I have never watched a film as a teenager and saw more of myself in a character than with Georgia. From being boy-crazy to dressing as an olive.

‘Ultraviolet’ is still a song I play at least weekly. It has had me in a chokehold since 2008.

The Sun is Also A Star (2019)

I went into ‘The Sun Is Also A Star’ skeptically because I loved the book so much and found it to be such a beautiful love story that touched on such prevalent issues in our society and honestly, I was worried they would ruin it. Instead what I got was one of my favorite modern-day love stories played out on film. And I got to witness the absolute gem that is Charles Melton singing karaoke. A truly exhilarating experience.

Five Feet Apart (2019)

haleylurichardson cysticfibrosis GIF by Five Feet ApartGiphy

I know a lot of y'all don't like this movie, but honestly, I am both in love with Cole Sprouse and worship the ground Haley Lu Richardson walks on, so this movie was a dream for me. The movie itself was full of heart, made me appreciate life a little more, and showed so much depth within the lead characters.

Sydney White (2007)

be yourself amanda bynes GIFGiphy

I just saw ‘Sydney White’ for the first time about 6 months ago, so this is a new addition to the list for me. But, just like with every early 2000s Amanda Bynes movie, I ate it up! The role Amanda Bynes plays in these movies is always the “im not like other girls” trope, and she's the only person who can get away with that.

Ticket To Paradise (2022)

Julia Roberts GIF by TicketToParadiseGiphy

Had to end my list with the newest release, ‘Ticket To Paradise.’ This movie gave me the exact cinema experience that I want. Comedy, romance, and two icons like George Clooney and Julia Roberts joined by the modern powerhouses that are Kaitlyn Dever and Billie Lourd.

Connect with me:

Email: (For Press inquires and interview inquiries and invites only) - underpnkskiess@gmail.com

Twitter

Instagram