As many of you may know there has been a very popular video circulating on the internet. The basis of this video is a teen boy in high school who begins a conversation with another student by writing messages back and forth on a desk. It goes scene by scene through the school’s classrooms, hallways and library to follow the journey of the student. At the end of the video the mystery girl that he has been writing to is revealed as they are signing yearbooks in their school’s gym. In the middle of their conversation another student enters the gym and begins shooting. It cuts to a black screen and states “While you were watching Evan, another student was showing signs of planning a shooting. But no one noticed.” It then proceeds to show the clips again that we had previously seen from the same video taking a closer look at what is happening in the rest of the scene. The troubled student shows signs of anger by lashing out at others. He is bullied in the hallways. It even shows him looking up shooting videos online. There is a point in the flashback that shows a picture he posted on social media holding a gun with the caption “see you at school”. This emphasizes the ease by which we overlook these kinds of situations every day. These are very real steps taken by troubled students and the fact of the matter is that school shootings are preventable. We, as a society, need to pay closer attention to the problems facing adolescents in schools. There are many aspects of the American education system that needs improvement and very obviously the mental health of its' students is in dire need of attention. One of the first things that comes up as a result when searching the word “depression” on Google is “depression in students” or “depression caused by school”. A general statistic on student depression is that 2.8 million youth age 12-17 had at least one major depressive episode in 2014. Whether it be bullying at the hands of other students or teachers, sleep deprivation, work overload, or self esteem issues, along with a plethora of other issues, the unhealthy environments in schools needs to be addressed. Education is not a one size fits all type of deal and we need to stop treating it that way. With how beautifully shot and how eloquently the material of this video is presented, I feel as though all of you should give this video a watch. Maybe then you can have your eyes opened to the life of a troubled student in your life and how to prevent disaster. It only takes one. Watch the video here.