Cellphones linked to brain cancer?

Cellphones linked to brain cancer?

Studies show brain cancer might be linked to cellphones..

9
Cellphones linked to brain cancer?

In today’s society there is one really big question, are cellphones safe? Not in the aspect of taking focus away from an important task but in the aspect of radiation. The radio waves that the phone uses for signal and communication are what the concern is about. The radio waves may be absorbed into the body’s tissues if close enough. Many countries recommend not to use cellphones often and if you do to text instead of talk on the phone to keep the device farther from your body. They also advise children not to use cellphones because the radiation can reach their body tissue faster than it would an adult’s.

Many scientists have conducted studies. Some have found a connection between radiation and disease, while others haven’t. The findings from all kinds of studies are inconsistent. Why? Well, there are five discrepancies that could have taken place: recall bias, inaccurate reporting, morbidity and mortality, participation, and changing technology and methods of use.

Recall bias can occur when data about earlier habits and exposures are collected after diagnosis of a disease. There is the possibility that study participants with brain tumors may remember how they used their cellphone differently than participants without brain tumors. People with brain tumors may remember using their phone frequently on the side of their head that has the tumor, whether it happened or not. Therefore, the study doesn’t have verifiable data.

Inaccurate reporting happens when people report something happening more or less than what it actually happened. This is because most people don’t actually remember how much they used their phones in a given period of time.

Morbidity and mortality is due to patients with brain cancer. It is difficult to have people with brain cancer in a study because of their high death rate and the short time survival of those who develop the tumors. Patients who survive aren’t reliable because they are often impaired, which can affect their responses. Also, the family and friends of those who died are less familiar with their deceased friend/family member’s usage of cellphones and can’t accurately describe their usage patterns.

Participation bias happens because people with brain tumors are more likely to enter in these studies than healthy people. People who didn’t use cellphones much also didn’t enroll often, where people who used cell phones regularly did.

Changing technology and methods of use have changed throughout the years has made an impact too. The more hands free technology may decrease radio-frequency exposure to the head and brain.

Multiple expert organizations such as the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, the FDA and the CDC have stated that no scientific evidence directly and definitively answers whether cellphones cause cancer or not. Other studies on children have also concluded that they are not at any kind of higher risk for brain cancer. Although, the FDA has suggested some steps to reduce exposure to radio-frequency energy if anyone is concerned. They said to reserve the use of cellphones for short conversations or when a landline isn’t available, and to use wireless or hands-free technology to increase the distance between you and the device.