Celebrating 10 Years Of Friday Night Lights

Texas Forever.

146
Hello Giggles

Monday of this week marked the decade of the ten year anniversary of one of the greatest TV shows ever: "Friday Night Lights." If you watched all five seasons when it aired on NBC, or binged watched the whole show in a week on Netflix like me, then you know that show was one of a kind. It was a show adapted from the movie of the same title, which also happens to be a book written by Buzz Bissinger.

The TV show has a lot of differences than that of the book and movie. "Friday Night Lights" the TV show focused on football in the town of Dillon, Texas, but also went into depth with the characters. We got to see the relationships, the struggles, and the obstacles the characters faced.

Friday Night Lights was a show unlike any other because of how relatable it felt. The plots throughout the seasons made the viewers feel like they could connect with the characters on the show, except for season two when Landry killed a guy but that's another story.

The series came to an unfortunate end after five seasons and, to be honest, I've watched the show a total of four times through on Netflix (yes I'm obsessed with it and no I'm not exaggerating - literally four times) and I still shed some tears at the end of the last episode.

As we celebrate the show's beginning ten years ago this week, let's look back at some of the best moments and characters from the show.

*Some spoilers ahead*

1. Jason Street's Tragic Injury

From the very beginning of the Pilot episode, we get the gist that Jason Street is a pretty big deal. He's supposed to be "the next Roger Staubach" or "better than Peyton Manning" according the little boy in the football camp. Jason is seen as the All-American, star quarterback of the Dillon Panthers with a promising future in the NFL - until all of those dreams are shattered at the end of the first episode. We don't see much from Jason very long or see him get to fulfill his destiny after he attempts to tackle the defender on the other team that intercepted his pass. Jason ends up paralyzed and the show already starts off with a tear jerker. Jason never regains the use of his legs after all of the physical therapy and spontaneous trip to Mexico. It was an early major plot twist in the show that made us love Jason and sent the message that your life can change in a matter of seconds.

2. The Biggest Love Triangle In FNL History.

Following Jason's injury is the birth of the most heartbreaking, popular love triangle in the Friday Night Lights franchise. And in my opinion, the best love triangle in television history (even better than the love triangle in One Tree Hill and that's saying something). Lyla Garrity, cheerleader and girlfriend of Jason Street, has an affair with brooding Tim Riggins, who happens to be Jason Street's best friend. It wasn't intentional, Lyla was overwhelmed with the emotions of dealing with Jason's injury, but that still doesn't excuse her decision to sleep with Tim, repeatedly. It lasted for several episodes until Street found out after going out of the rehab center with Lyla and Tim for the day (awkward) and all of our hearts hurt for him. Even though Lyla and Tim are an insanely adorable couple and you are rooting for them the whole show, you can't help but feel for Jason after undergoing a life changing event, to find out his longtime girlfriend was cheating on him with his best friend. I mean, Jason and Lyla were planning their wedding.

3. Grandma Saracen and Matt Were Too Presh

Okay, from the very beginning we get a glimpse of how sweet Matthew Saracen is, and it's absolutely adorable. Matt is undeniably one of the sweetest, caring guys in the show's history and watching him take care of his grandma just makes you want to squeeze him. When he has to leave his first date with Julie, that he nervously worked up the courage to ask her out on, he has to sing to his grandma to get her to come out of the closet and it's so sweet. It's also adorable when he brings her to Billy Riggins' wedding and dances with her. Matt really goes above and beyond the responsibilities of a seventeen year old boy by being the one to take care of her while going to school, playing football and having a job. Plus, he's also a genuine guy. The world needs more Matt Saracen's.

4. Landry And Tyra Were Too Weird

I will admit, the show had some faults and the major one was season two. Meet Landry Clark: the odd, nerdy, yet witty underdog in the show - also Matt Saracen's best friend. Landry is the character that's mainly meant for comical relief and to be honest, he was annoying and my least favorite. Now meet Tyra Collete: the hot, slutty girl of the show that goes through a character development stage and makes something of herself by being the first one in her family to go to college. Landry develops a crush on her in season one and it's evident that it's just not going to happen. Until it does and the whole time you watch their weird relationship and you want to vomit. Season two is also the season where Tyra gets attacked by a man as she waits for Landry to meet her to help her study. Landry ends up killing the man by accident later in the season which turns out to be the worst plot story in the entire five seasons. It's odd, awkward and totally unrealistic. Landry and Tyra were never meant to last and the whole time they were together, it was just too funky to watch.

5. Vince's Character Change Was One Of The Best

When we meet Vince, we see a teenager running from the cops and on the verge of going back to juvy. Coach Taylor, being the amazing coach he is, decides to put Vince on the new East Dillon football team to help straighten him out, and Vince is anything but grateful. At first, Vince is completely disrespectful and selfish; he wants nothing to do with Coach Taylor's rules and it's Vince's way or no way. We learn that Vince comes from a terrible home with a drug addict of a mother and an absent father who's been to jail for drugs and dealing also. Throughout the show, Vince transforms completely. He becomes a man who's a leader and is determined to change not only his life, but his mothers, too. Vince becomes caring and someone we love, majorly. Thanks to Coach Taylor and Jess for the work they put into Vince for his change of heart. He also becomes a great football player too. All in all, it was a beautiful character development and transformation. Oh, Vince and Jess were also freaking cute too.

6. The Loss Of The Second State Championship Was Heartbreaking.

Let's admit it, every time there was a game, you watched it and cheered for the Dillon Panthers like it was an actual high school football game, even the state championships. The Dillon Panthers are a team like no other with exceptional coaching and players. Don't act like your heart was not about to beat out of your chest every time it came down to the championship games. We watched their practices and knew how much it meant to the players, especially Tim Riggins' and Matt Saracen's senior year. They made it, again, to the state championship, ready to pour their heart and soul into their last high school career game at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium. It was too painful to watch them lose at the last second and see the players we love be depressed.

7. Tim And Lyla Not Ending Up Together Was Upsetting.

Even though they both were completely wrong in having an affair, it pains me the most every time I watch this show to know that they don't end up together. They were second most perfect relationship, right behind Coach and Tami Taylor of course. TIm is a man of little words and is not the relationship type but the way he tries for Lyla is adorable. He really tries to be a good boyfriend and watching him fight for her in season two while she's going through the weird Christian phase is romantic. Hearing Tim telling Lyla that he loves her makes your heart melt and when he tells her that he will not be the guy to keep her from going to college... Ugh, can I be Lyla? It's Tim freaking Riggins. My heart aches even more for him when Lyla shows up a year later for Matt's father's funeral and when she stays with Tim while she's in town. Just the way Tim is for Lyla is incredible. I am 100% positive that I will never get over the fact that they don't end up together. It physically hurts.

8. J.D. McCoy And His Dad Were Pure Evil.

Yeah, yeah, we know: J.D. can throw a 70 yard touchdown pass, big whoop. No one in the history of FNL was more deceptive and snakelike than the McCoy's. No one wanted J.D. on that team and can we talk about his dad? That was manipulative. He's the whole reason why Coach Taylor lost his job just for his son to play football. We hate J.D. and his family from the time they come on the show, to when they leave. Wait your turn J.D., you'll be QB1 when Matt Saracen is gone.

9. Becky's Pregnancy Was Unexpected.

I've watched the show four times and I still didn't see any sign of Becky and Luke hooking up. When it came out that she was pregnant, I had a big confused moment and tried to find any sign that it happened. It was totally unexpected and even though she didn't keep it, Luke still would've been a great dad. And can we talk about how insanely cute he is? Luke was that typical country boy who lives on a farm and plays football but he was one of the nicest guys on the show, right behind Matt. I'll always be a Riggins fan but my second will always be Luke, sorry Matt.

10. Smash William's Leave Was Sorta Emotional.

Smash was a character that I couldn't tell if I liked at first. He was too cocky about his ability to play football and once he sabotaged his career for steroids and kept debating on going to the tryout that Coach Taylor pulled thousands of strings to get. He made a lot of mistakes and got on my nerves but Smash was one of the best players there was and when he left, it was only right to shed a few tears. It was never the same without him.

11. The District Divide Pissed You Off.

I'm gonna go ahead and clear this up: Coach Eric Taylor was the best coach Dillon ever had. When the district gave the job to Wake Aikman (aka, J.D. McCoy's personal trainer), We. Were. Pissed. After all Coach Taylor had done for that school, the board gave him the shitty end of the stick by offering him the head coaching position at East Dillon, the school that was not as fortunate as Dillon. East Dillon was the "ghetto" school and did not have the team that Dillon once had. It was frustrating to watch but it taught a great lesson: To never give up. It sounds cheesy but if you want to watch an inspirational, come-back sports story, watch seasons 4-5.

12. Julie Taylor Was Destructive.

Let's be real, Julie was the biggest brat ever. I never liked her and she was always doing something to piss me off. She gets Tim in trouble by playing it off that Tim was trying to sleep with her when he actually was bringing her home from a party safely, she broke up with Matt for a guy she shouldn't have of even dated, and she slept with her teacher. He wasn't her real teacher but he was a student who was the real teacher's TA so same thing. She was also majorly disrespectful to her parents. Oh, and she crashed her car on purpose and then lied about it to stay home.

13. Coach Taylor's Speeches Were Bomb.

It's accurate to say that once you watch a scene where Coach Taylor is speaking to his team or to someone on the show, he makes you want to accomplish all of your life goals in a matter of seconds or you become completely inspired to do everything. Coach Taylor was the best part of the show and the way he cared for his players was inspirational in itself. He took in Tim Riggins and let him stay with him when he left home, he never stopped trying to find Smash a college team to play for after he lost his scholarship, and he made sure Matt Saracen turned into a confident young man after his father was deployed and left Matt to care for his grandma by himself. As Tami Taylor once said, Coach Taylor is a molder of men. He put so much thought into his team and into his players. He didn't even want to start J.D. over Matt because he knew how that would lower Matt's confidence. Basically, using the word "amazing" to describe Coach Taylor is an understatement. And he's totally easy on the eyes.

14. Tim Riggins Is The Man.

Oh, Tim. Thank the Lord he was one of the characters that was on all five seasons. Despite his track record and constantly being drunk (he even practices drunk), he's one of the best characters on the show. Girls want to be with him and guys want to be him. He's smooth, athletic, totally hot. The thing about Tim is that he slightly undergoes a character change. He's more selfish at the beginning of the show and seeing him cry when he watches the tape of Jason getting injured makes my heart swell. Tim is the brooding bad boy on the show and seeing the tough guy break down makes you break down. He also makes scores brownie points with the female viewers when he shields Julie from the tornado and takes the fall for Billy which ends up with him going to jail so Billy's unborn baby can have a dad. And the hair...

15. Julie And Matt's Relationship Was Cute AF.

Watching the sweet, shy Matt Saracen ask out the bitchy Julie Taylor was adorable. Matt didn't deserve the heartbreak Julie handed him in season two when she left him for the Swede but it was obvious that they were meant to be together. When Matt and Julie were together, it was like watching the most innocent couple ever, even though Julie is never innocent. Matt never had much but he deserved to have someone love him and if that means that person is Julie Taylor, then I'm happy for him. The proposal could've been better... really Matt? In front of the Alamo Freeze? At least they ended up together.

16. Coach Eric And Tami Taylor = Power Couple.

There's no other couple on the planet that will ever compare to these two. I actually pray that my future relationship is just like theirs. They're honest, blunt and so loving. I don't think there's words to describe how great their marriage is. In the show, their marriage isn't completely perfect; there's a few times it get a little shaky but they're so in love with each other that it's just great. There's no way to explain their relationship and how amazing it is, you just have to watch to see for yourself. No other TV marriage will ever compare to the Taylor's.

17. "Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose."

It's the most popular saying from the show other than Riggins', "Texas forever." Barack Obama even used it but gave it a twist in one of his speeches. Coach Taylor always says this while talking to the team before, during or after a game and it always gives the team the confidence they need. Us FNL viewers know it's more than just a saying.

"Friday Night Lights" will continue to become a classic. It's one of the most real and powerful shows that's ever been created. I'll definitely continue to watch and watch and watch this show over and over, it's one that will never get old. It's sad that it only had five seasons but they were five life-changing seasons. It's more than just football. It's a show about overcoming obstacles and facing the difficulties life throws at you. The show teaches life lessons in a realistic way that no other show has accomplished. I seriously hope one day we will be blessed for a reunion.

Once a Dillon Panther, always a Dillon Panther.