Caution! Contents Hot: The Cup Of Tea That Divided A Nation

The scoop and my opinion on the #KimExposedTaylorParty.

113
E!

Because everyone has been asking for it (read: no one at all) I’m going to give my opinion on the Kim/Kanye/Taylor Swift drama. If you’ve been living on Mars for the last week, I’ll provide a quick synopses of the drama. If you already know what’s going on, feel free to skip the summary.

Kanye West’s line in his song "Famous" infuriated Taylor Swift, causing her to give a passionate Grammy speech about not letting people take credit for your success. The line that caused all this commotion is “For all my southside n****s that know me best/I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex/Why? I made that b***h famous.” After her outrage, Kanye soon took to Twitter claiming that she and Kim had given their blessing on this lyric.

Awhile later, Kim Kardashian mentioned this drama in her interview with GQ, stating that there was video evidence of the phone call between Taylor Swift and Kanye . Kim then waited until National Snake Day and tweeted directing people to her Snapchat. On Kim’s Snapchat, she recorded the video of Kanye talking to Taylor on the phone. The internet went crazy, with many people saying that Kim broke the internet even with her clothes on. Quickly, a hashtag was devised for easy discussion and sharing of memes, #KimExposedTaylorParty. Taylor Swift responded with a screenshot of an iPhone note on her Instagram

That moment when Kanye West secretly records your phone call, then Kim posts it on the Internet.
A photo posted by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>.

Several other celebrities have taken sides by either tweeting or liking tweets and Instagram posts.

So, which side am I on in this second Civil War (or "The War Between The Celebrities" for our southern friends) that has divided our nation? I have to side with Kim Kardashian. First of all, Kim Kardashian is an extremely successful woman, no matter whether you like her or think she has no talent. She was recently on the cover of Forbes magazine, a prestigious honor. Her job is basically to be a personality. She stars in Keeping Up With the Kardashians (KUWTK), has over 77 million instagram followers, 46.7 million twitter followers, three successful apps (Kim Kardashian Hollywood, Kimoji, and the lifestyle app that each individual Kardashian has.) All of these things bring in money. The more people that know about her and go to her pages, the more likely she is to make money. By defending her husband’s integrity, she got major publicity. Many Snapchat discovery stories have been dedicated to the drama, the trending hashtag provided fuel to the fire, and other celebrities’ tweets brought their fans attention to the situation. People are now more likely to follow Kim on Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter so they can stay in the loop of any further drama. When you go to Kim’s Twitter page, you see a link to her Kim Kardashian Hollywood app, so the more traffic on her page, the more likely sales will increase. On her Instagram, she promotes products, KUWTK, and her apps. Yet again, more followers equals more business. This woman is smart and has been able to use public drama like this to her advantage.

Also, in my humble opinion, Kim Kardashian does more for feminism than Taylor Swift does. Taylor doesn’t really challenge any stereotypes, kind of gives off the impression she can’t be whole without a man in her life, and doesn’t fight for women who aren’t part of her handpicked squad. The only time Taylor Swift even talks about feminism is when people are putting her down. Even if they aren’t talking about her, she’ll change the conversation to be about her, such as in her Twitter fight with Nicki Minaj. On the other hand, Kim Kardashian has made an empire out of a scandal. She owns who she is. Despite society wanting women to be quiet and demure, she is un-apologeticly the opposite. Leading by example, she shows women that they can be comfortable in their sexuality. And the best part is, none of this makes her a bad mother either. She can go look hot as Hell in Fergie’s new music video and then be adorable AF in her snap stories with North.

Another reason I’m partial to Kim’s side is simply because of what she did: expose Taylor Swift. I won’t lie to you, I love listening to Taylor Swift’s music, but there has always been something about her personality that I’ve never liked. She has created her persona around being an innocent girl who is constantly being hurt by the world. Everyone is always mean to Taylor, you’re supposed to feel bad for Taylor. But, why? Why should we feel bad? Should we be upset that Kanye West referred to her as “that b***h” in his song? I don’t think so. Even if he didn’t tell her that part of the song, she said it herself already – he didn’t have to get her approval for his lyrics. It’s rap. What did she think he would refer to her as, “that kind, beautiful soul?” NO. That word and others like it just come with the territory of his style of music. So get over it Taylor, it’s honestly probably not the worst thing people call you.

Lastly, let’s just look through Taylor’s repertoire of music and see the main topic is the different ways that different men have broken her heart. We’re all supposed to feel bad that America’s sweetheart has yet again been wronged. Although, maybe she’s not always the victim in these relationships. Most recently, she and Calvin Harris split. Only a couple weeks after the end of their fifteen month relationship she started publicly dating Tom Hiddleston. Anyone who has been in a relationship that long knows that it takes more than a couple weeks to get over someone you truly cared about. So I sense foul play on her part because it should not be that easy to get over someone as hot as Calvin Harris. Now, everyone is starting to point out that she has depicted all of her exes to be horrible, toxic people. Yet, did she ask any of them if it was okay to paint their character in this way? No. Because it’s the music industry. These people are public figures. Being talked about and having rumors spread is all part of the territory. She didn’t seem to have a problem with Ed Sheeran “character assassinating” Ellie Goulding in his song "Don’t." So, sorry not sorry Taylor, you don’t get to play both sides.�