What Catholic High School Taught Me

What Catholic High School Taught Me

In today's society, there can be a lot of controversy surrounding the Catholic Church and Catholic education.

231
What Catholic High School Taught Me
Maris Ackerman

When you hear the word Catholic you might think of several different things. Maybe you think of a cult or extremist group, or maybe you think it's just a mass service to go to on the weekends. This is similar to what I felt before receiving a Catholic education.

I was born into a Catholic family and raised going to Church most Sundays and attending all of the big masses like Christmas and Easter and I even attended Sunday school. As I grew older, I became bored with this. I stopped attending masses, I finished Sunday school, and I would put up a fight with my mom for even Christmas mass. This didn't seem weird for me though because at the time, none of my friends were religious either. I went on through the rest of middle school and my freshman year of high school without being very religious at all. Then going into my sophomore year, I transferred schools.

I was overwhelmed with this news. All I could think of was going to a school with a bunch of "Jesus freaks" and being completely ostracized because I wouldn't be able to fit in with them. I begged my parents to not move me but it was hopeless. Next thing I knew I was putting on the plaid skirt and polo and headed to my orientation.

I'm not going to lie, being a transfer to this school was awful. Everything g was different. We prayed in the morning, before every class, and after lunch. We have mass every month and a mandatory theology class. The first semester of my sophomore year felt like forever. I never really started to open up about my faith until my junior year when I went on a school trip to D.C to participate in the March For Life.

During this trip, we went to a mass where hundreds of priests and nuns were there and all of a sudden I began to cry in the mass. I didn't know why I was crying and I was trying to hide it but I couldn't. I turned to my best friend saying "why am I crying right now, I don't know why I'm crying." She said to me that I was finally open to Gods love and it was a sensation I couldn't describe. After this trip, I participated more in school mass and prayer and participated in retreats throughout the year.

Maris Ackerman

After this spiritual awakening, I found a new love for myself and for the people around me. Throughout my life I was struggling with self-esteem issues and not being able to love myself in the way I should be. A retreat called Kairos opened my heart even more to Gods love and the love of others.

On my Kairos retreat, I went in not wanting to participate and wanting to remain closed off to other people. I am a person who feels like I don't have to justify myself to others for the way I am or what I believe. After some encouragement, I opened up and saw the love God had for me and the love God had for others around me. I will forever have a connection with these people as some of my best friends.

Maris Ackerman

In conclusion, Catholic high school did a lot for me. It allowed me to explore a faith I was introduced to, it gave me some of the most genuine friends I could ever ask for, it gave me self-esteem again and gave my life importance again. But most importantly, it allowed me to see how loved I am in Gods eyes. That no matter what I could ever do wrong, God always forgave me. For an insecure high schooler, this is the best news I could have received.