To The Ex I Hate, But Also Need To Thank

Thank you, but also, I hate you.

11875
Nicole Bartley

Dear Ex-Boyfriend,

I had mixed feelings about writing this letter. I loved you. I loved you a lot. We had a lot of good times and we had a good connection. Or at least I thought we did. Even though I loved you, you chose to break my heart and change me forever. You made me weak, but then I became strong, and that is the only thing I thank you for now.

I was good to you. I was a damn good girlfriend to you, but for you that wasn’t enough. I spent so much time, effort, and money on you and you didn’t seem to care and you sure as hell didn’t appreciate me. Sometimes I feel stupid for allowing myself to stay with you after you hurt me time after time because I was in love and comfortable.

To be honest, I had plenty of guys who wanted me, and most of them showed me more respect than you ever did. I chose to not cheat because I’m better than that and I didn’t want to hurt you. Clearly, that feeling wasn’t mutual. Looking back, I should have broken up with you a long time ago, or maybe have never started dating you in the first place. Not because you’re a terrible person, but because you were a terrible boyfriend.

I’m not hard to please. I just asked that you gave me attention, love and affection, and that you were loyal to me. And yet, you found a way to disregard all of those requests and look how things ended up. I’m glad we aren’t together anymore. I see you often and I know and hear things you probably think I don’t. But honestly, I couldn’t care less about you and what’s going on in your life because I’m not apart of it anymore.

Things weren’t always bad between us, and I’m not sure when things started going south, but it’s hard remember all the times you made me smile because now I can only remember the times you made me cry, which was more often than not. I will never forgive you for breaking my heart. However, I will thank you. Thank you for making me realize that I deserve so much better than you and what we had. I deserve a guy that will love me unconditionally. I deserve a guy who wants to spend time with me instead of choosing drugs and alcohol over me. I deserve a guy who will surprise me with flowers every so often just because he wants to. I deserve someone who respects me and treats me like the princess queen I am. I won’t make the mistake of downgrading and being less happy than I could have been ever again.

Now that I’ve moved on from you, I’m a lot happier and more clear headed than ever. Thank you for making me better and stronger, but also, you suck and I hate you.

Sincerely,

Your Hot Piece Of Sass Ex-Girlfriend