10 New Year's Resolutions You'll Break

10 New Year's Resolutions You'll Break, So Don't Think Otherwise

New year, same you.

316

.

1. Lose weight & get in shape

Now this one is an all-time classic. Almost every person that is overweight and a little self-conscious about it, sets this goal for themselves and more often than not they fail to meet it. Hope that isn't you in 2019.

2. Quit smoking

If you thought losing weight was already hard enough, being a smoker and trying to quit is probably even harder. So if you smoke frequently and want to quit, good luck with that. I don't mean to scare you or spread bad vibes, but smoking is one of the most addictive activities someone can do and it has proven to be one of the hardest to quit with a successful "quit rate" of 3% to 11% depending on your age, race, and level of education.

3. Read more

www.thebluediamondgallery.com

Reading is one of those things that you either love or hate, I'm pretty sure there is almost no in between. For a person that has never read as a source of personal entertainment, picking up reading as an activity or habit can be really tough. Especially, if you are one of those who has only read a book before because your school forced you to.

4. Quit social media // reduce phone addiction

phone with social mediaFlickr Creative Commons

This may be one of the toughest resolutions to actually keep on this list. Not necessarily because social media is addictive or bad, but because your phone is rather useful. A lot of jobs nowadays actually encourage you to have multiple forms of social media so that way your work can get more exposure on a wider scale. Social media can also be tough to quit because it might be your only source of communication with certain people, so if you're thinking about quitting, you better have those things already sorted out.

5. Spend less, save more

For those of you who told yourselves that you were going to save more but usually spend every penny you get after getting your paycheck, I got bad news for you. You probably won't be able to save as much as you'd hope for. I mean, saving is already kind of hard because of all the bills you have to pay (cable, rent, internet, water, electricity, etc.) and if on top of that you are already kind of addicted to spending, it'll only be tougher for you. If you really want to follow through with this resolution, you better get yourself a financial planner and stick to it.

6. Learning something new

In contrast with the other resolutions on this list, this one might be one of the easiest resolutions to keep. Technically we all learn something new every day, but by "learning something new" people generally mean that they'll try to learn something big like a new skill, language, or hobby. Depending on how flexible your schedule is and how much you work/study, this might be a very attainable goal. Nonetheless, a lot of people get lazy and after a while and they rather stick to their previous routine. Please try not to be one of those people if this is your resolution.

7. Get more sleep

Whether you are a student or a full-time worker, this one is actually tougher to accomplish than you would think. People often do have enough time to sleep anywhere between 6 and 8 hours, but for some reason a lot of us like to stay up doing random stuff like watching reruns of our favorite TV shows, watching videos on youtube or looking at our phones. I would say that if you want to follow through with this one, you'll probably have to be more disciplined with your time for now on.

8. Getting a promotion // better job 

www.picpedia.org

The reason why, in my opinion, people do not tend to follow through with this resolution is because this is a bit more of a longer term goal than shorter term; meaning it might take a little more than a year to accomplish. A lot of people who get tired of their job or simply don't like it, want to leave as soon as possible or get a promotion. However, finding a better job or getting a promotion is often quite challenging, but don't get discouraged, keep up the good work and you'll get what you want eventually.

9. Staying in touch with friends & family 

If you live far away from home and your friends are just as busy as you are, staying in touch with your loved ones can be very hard at times. Especially, if you are working on the weekends or simply can't find the right time to set a meeting. Just remember that investing time in special relationships is crucial and might make a difference in your daily life, even though you'll most likely get sloppy and forget.

10. Getting over a fear

Everyone has fears and these vary depending on the person. If you ever told yourself that on new year's eve that you would overcome one of your deepest fears, you were probably lying to yourself. I'm not saying you didn't because you might have, but at the end of the day, getting rid of a fear is never easy, and most people don't actually do it. I hope this year you actually do get rid of a deep fear if this was your resolution.