I Replaced My Morning Cup Of Tea With Bone Broth, And I'm Never Going Back

This stuff is a pot of liquid gold.

256
Flickr

My awkward phase started in seventh grade. It brought me a drawer full of Aeropostale clothes, a mouthful of braces, and a face covered in acne. In the years since then, I’ve (thankfully) grown out of my Aeropostale t-shirts, and I was fortunate enough to get my braces off before high school. The only thing I was unable to break free from is my acne. With the guidance of my dermatologist, I tried hundreds of acne products to no avail.

That was until I heard of bone broth. I was originally informed of its power to prevent the flu, which immediately drew me in (Flashback to three weeks ago when all three of my roommates moved like sloths and looked like they had been run over by a bus. I just barely survived flu season).

After researching a little more, I found that bone broth has so many other benefits besides increased immunity. It relieves joint pain, strengthens bones and teeth, promotes weight loss, protects your gut, and improves the appearance of cellulite and acne. Just check out this hefty list of benefits.

I had to try it out to see if these benefits were real. Would bone broth actually improve not only my acne but my overall health?

Day One

When I finally poured myself a mug of bone broth, I butterflies whirled around in my stomach like I was about to go downstairs on Christmas morning. The anticipation of the bones’ healing powers had been building inside of me throughout the whole 24-hours they had cooked.

As I researched, I found that it works best when you make your own bone broth, so my mother and I had bought some real-deal beef bones to cook in the crockpot (Thank goodness I was on spring break and at home for this).

As my anticipation built, so did the smell in the house. The entire house smelled like bone broth. I don’t know exactly how to describe the smell of bone broth, but I know it wasn’t a smell I was used to smelling in the morning.

The taste of the broth blew me away. Even though I don’t quite know what I was expecting, the taste exceeded my expectations. It was just like a bowl of warm chicken noodle soup minus the chicken and the noodles. I truly expected it to work immediately just based off of the taste, but I was proven wrong as I’m looking in the mirror at the end of the day. No progress yet.

Day Three

The broth tasted just as good this morning. However, and I didn't think this was possible, my acne has gotten worse. Maybe the bone broth is just taking its time and getting everything out of my pores? I'm pretty skeptical, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Day Seven

It has officially been one week. Since I got home from spring break, I've been buying paleo powdered bone broth to mix with hot water every day (apartment friendly, you know).

You never know how bad you felt until you feel good. Even though I'm still experiencing some acne flare-ups, my face isn't nearly as red, and I'm beginning to notice some of the other benefits. I full more energized throughout the day, my hair looks healthier, and some of my cellulite has faded away. Everyone looks at me funny when I tell them what I've been drinking every morning, but I swear by it.

Day Fourteen

I honestly barely recognize my face when I look in the mirror. I have some scar tissue from my acne, but I only have one zit on my face. I will say, I have also been eating very healthy, drinking a ton of water, and exercising in addition to drinking my bone broth, so it might not be the only factor for my skin's healing. However, I am sure that the broth's satisfying and healing nature definitely played a large role in it.

While I love green tea and will continue to drink it every morning, bone broth has been a healthy addition to my morning routine that I don't think I could give up any time soon.