Bills vs Patriots Preview

Bills vs Patriots Preview

No Brady, Still Some Problems

10
Bills vs Patriots Preview
TopBet

Following the Thursday night blowout between Cincinnati and Miami, all focus is now on Sunday. Sunday will mark the first meeting of the year between division rivals, Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots. More of a one way rivalry the last decade or so going 20-4 against the Bills since year 2000. The first meeting between the two this year and Tom Brady will not be under center. Here is what to expect this week.

No matter what, Tom Brady will not be suiting up for the Pats in Orchard Park this Sunday due to his suspension. The most likely option under center for New England will be Jimmy Garoppolo. Despite battling through a shoulder injury, he has been practicing all week but has been limited. Jimmy G made a name for himself before being injured in week 2 throwing for three touchdowns in the first half against the Dolphins. This would be the Patriots best option. Jacoby Brissett would be the other option but he is also battling a thumb injury. Brissett barely broke the 100 passing yards mark in week three. There is still no word yet on either of their status or who will be the starting quarterback for Sunday's game.

LeGarrete Blount has been on fire as of late for the Patriots. With a total 298 rushing yards already ranks him at the top of total yards for running backs already. He also has four rushing touchdowns as well. Blount could have a big day against a weaker Bills rush defense. Expect Blount to be the main force on offense for Sunday.

The Buffalo secondary was phenomenal last week. Picking off Carson Palmer four times and returning a fumble for a touchdown were the highlights of the corners and safeties. The defense was excellent on passes downfield and had many great pass breakups. Palmer the weeks prior had a combined 575 passing yards with 5 touchdowns and the bills held him to just 287 passing yards and 4 picks.

Injuries continue to kill the Bills. Sammy Watkins is listed out yet again and there is now a fear in the front office that this injury could be long term. Another foot injury that he dealt with last year. Other notables who are out for the Bills this week are Greg Salas, Cyrus Kouandijo and Patrick Lewis. Offensive lineman Cordy Glenn, cornerback Ron Darby, tight-end Charles Clay and safety Aaron Williams are all labeled as questionable for Sunday. Clay hasn't been much of a factor thus far after being one of Tyrod's favorite targets last year. The secondary performed great without Darby last week and if they continue their success from last week, the pass defense will be that much better with Darby in the lineup.

The first week having former running backs coach Anthony Lynn as the offensive coordinator brought back the great running force that they had last year. LeSean McCoy ran for over 100 yards for the first time this year while also scoring twice. Tyrod Taylor also rushed for 76 yards with a TD last week.

The "Wrap-Up":

Even without Brady, this game could be a nail-biter. The Bills have only came up with the W twice in Foxboro since 2000. The patriots have a much better shot with Garappolo under center rather than Brissett. However, either way I expect the Bills secondary to make it tough on either quarterback. The Bills linebackers and defensive line need to be on their A-game to stop Blount. If not, like Bills fans have seen so many times, New England will run all over the Buffalo defense. The Bills need to use Marquise Goodwin as much as they can, especially on the deep ball. He is one of the fastest receivers in the NFL and Tyrod has the arm to hit him most of the time. And just remember, if Garappolo or Brissett are unable to play, we might just see Julian Edelman under center! Wouldn't that be great!

Prediction:

Buffalo 24 New England 17