The Best Skin Care Routine? Not Washing Your Face

Shocking, I know! But it works!

91
Personal Photo

If you're anything like me you probably spend a good portion of your day wondering when acne will finally stop being a problem for you. I mean you're in your twenties--wasn't it supposed to stop by now?

I've always struggled with acne and that means I've always been looking for advice on how to get rid of it. I've spent countless amounts of money on face cleansers, toners, face masks, and makeup to conceal the ugly blemishes but nothing ever seemed to stick. No matter what I did, an annoying little pimple would always appear.

Granted, my breakouts have been happening less after I pledged to stop wearing makeup all the time at the beginning of this year. But I'm still a sweaty girl living in the humid state of Pennsylvania during the summer and I found myself breaking out way more often than usual and I was starting to give up hope.

It's not until out of pure laziness that I figured out this hack--not washing my face. It, in fact, has significantly lessened my breakouts.

When's the last time you heard that advice? To do nothing? It seems like we live in a world where beauty influencers are constantly throwing skin care products in our faces and not once have I ever been told to do nothing.

And it turns out that there's actual science behind this. According to Adina Grigore, author of "Skin Cleanse" and the founder of the skin care line S.W. Basics, using fewer products and opting for the lazy route is better because face cleaners throw off the natural and correct proportion of bacteria that helps to regulate your skin.

So the more you wash your face, the more you're stripping away your skins natural barrier and oils, and cutting down on products is actually the best thing you can do for your pretty face.

Of course, everyone's experiences are different and not everyone's face is going to react the same way. In some cases, such as with cystic acne, you're going to need to see a dermatologist for skin care help. But with me, I've found that washing my face occasionally once a day does wonders for my skin.

What I do now is start my morning wiping my face with my Witch Hazel rose water toner or just regular micellar water (I use Garnier's brand, and you can purchase both at any pharmacy, CVS, Target, etc.). I use a little bit on a cotton ball, wipe my face, and that's it! And at night I will wash my face with a gentle cleanser, such as CeraVe or Cetaphil.

I've found that washing my face at night works best just to get rid of a day's worth of grime and dirt, but sometimes I'll skip the step and just use micellar water instead.

But by doing this I've saved more money and my face is literally thriving. I've found that the best skincare routine for me is to just be lazy and it is currently working wonders! They always say less is more, and that is certainly the case here.

From Your Site Articles