Why Being Single In The Summer Is Kind Of Awesome

Turn your rough situation into an ideal one.

102
favim.com

The sound of a summer romance seems pretty perfect- at least, they do in Nicholas Sparks novels, anyway. Having someone to share every moment with was my ideal situation- until I got dumped (for reasons for another article to explain). It felt like the end of the world, and I was so sure that my summer was ruined. But once you look at it from a different perspective, you realize how much more fun it is to be single in the summer, rather than having to spend it constantly worrying about long distance and using any free time you have to be with someone else. Summer should be your “me time,” because it’s so much healthier that way.

You have more freedom to do what you want. If you don’t have to constantly check in with someone to let them know where you’re going or what you’re doing, then you’re free to have fun without feeling guilty (not that you should ever have to let someone else make your decisions- just a courtesy). There’s nothing stopping you from a last-minute road trip with your best friend, so go for it!

You don’t have to worry about anyone else. Vacations aren’t nearly as much fun if you’re spending all of it on the phone with your partner, telling them what you’re doing and hearing about their day. It’s a waste of time, and it’s so much easier to have fun if you can just shut off your phone and unwind.

You can finally take on all those projects you’ve been meaning to do. Whether it’s baking or reading or working out, you have all the time in the world to do it. Take advantage of it!

You can make your new “you.” Like I said, this is your “me time”- use it to think about how you can make yourself a better person, without needing anyone else. Be nicer to yourself. Accept that there are things you can’t control, and move on. You’ll be so much happier, and when you go back to school in the fall, everyone can admire the new and improved new you’ve created, opening you up to bigger and better opportunities.

Being single is a blessing, not a curse. Make your own happiness and be your own person, because you deserve it.