It's OK To Be Blunt

A long time ago a man once said “honesty is the best policy.” This slogan is not only something that I remember being posted on walls in my elementary classrooms, but also something that my parents always enforced. If this statement is true, and honesty really is the best policy then why do people get so defensive when others are honest with them?

I am, and always have been, the blunt person in my friend groups. If there is an issue, an argument or if someone needs to know if they look fat in a dress, I am always the one to speak up. I have never had a problem with speaking the truth whether it makes people upset or stronger, or whether it means people will be talking about me behind my back. None of this ever mattered to me because as long as I was telling the truth I would be okay with myself.

So why do people get offended so easily when they ask for an honest opinion? Why do people want to know what you’re thinking but then get offended when you tell? Truth is we live in a society today where everyone thinks it’s not okay to be blunt or straightforward instead, people like to sugar coat everything instead of being honest.

But let’s be honest here, since when has sugar coating anything gone well? Last time someone sugar coated something for me it was when I was having problems with my ex. I asked my close friend what she thought about him acting weird and she responded with, “he seems fine to me.” The next day he broke up with me. Safe to say he wasn’t “fine” he really just wanted nothing to do with me. If my friend had not sugar coated this situation for me I wouldn’t have been as blindsided and as heart broken as I was. Everyone has been through situations like these in their life and every one of them could have been avoided if honesty was used in the first place.

Sugar coating situations and not being honest in everyday life can lead to more of a disaster than the original problem. It can mislead people, leave you hopeless or misunderstood and make you choke on unsaid words. Although having to be the straightforward friend has it’s downfalls, it is something to embrace. You are someone that people can always go to and be trusted with. My mom now asks me for all of my opinions on everything and anything because she knows that I will be honest with her.

If someone asks you if you like the dress they are about to buy and you don’t simply say no. If your parents ask you how school is going and you are struggling let them know instead of pretending to be perfect. If your friend asks if you’re mad at them and you are just explain where your frustration is coming from. Being honest with the people you love is one of the most rewarding parts about relationships.

It is OK to be blunt and it is time that people start recognizing that.