Beauty Brands Are Going Political For All The Right Reasons
Politics

The devil works hard, but the people work harder.

154

Lipstick? Check. Compact powder? Check. Boss status? Check. Exercising your right to vote? Check. Fighting for basic human rights for all members of society? Check.

Since Donald Trump became president of the United States, people have witnessed and suffered through unprecedented regressive changes to the fundamental rights upon which this country was found on. Basic human rights, such as, seeking asylum, women's rights, gun control, LGBTQ laws and freedom of speech have been under fire since. With the current political status of the U.S., politicians and lobbyists are not the only ones fighting for human rights; beauty brands have taken an initiative to fight for causes that support all the reformative actions President Trump is directly against.

Lipslut

After President Donald Trump's inauguration in 2017, Katie Sones, a college student in California, decided to start a beauty brand called Lipslut that is dedicated to donating 50% of their profits to nine charities that directly revolt against President Trump's regressive actions. After noticing that college students were more likely to spend money on makeup rather than donating to charities, Sones had a brilliant idea to bridge the gap between politics and beauty. In 2017, Lipslut released it's very first product: a pink liquid lipstick fittingly named "F*ck Trump."

F*ck Trump ShadeLipslut

In light of Brett Kavanaugh being elected as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Lipslut released a new liquid lipstick shade succinctly named "F*ck Kavanaugh" in October 2018. In an interview with Refinery29, Sones wanted the color to be a cool-toned maroon; "After seeing Kavanaugh's hotheadedness at the hearing, we thought a 'calm, cool, and collected' shade would be fitting" she said. In addition to the "F*ck Trump" shade, 50% of all profits from "F*ck Kavanaugh" goes to sexual assault survivor organizations.

F*ck KavanaughLipslut

The Lipstick Lobby

Parkland, Sandy Hook, Pulse night club, Columbine, Las Vegas casino, Virginia Tech… there's one thing in common amongst all these places; some of the deadliest mass shootings in the United States happened at these locations. With the United States currently being anything but united on the issue of gun violence, anti-gun lobbyists have taken matters into their own hands to raise awareness against gun violence and to help fund reform efforts. The Lipstick Lobby, a social justice beauty brand, launched a campaign honoring victims of mass shootings. They also released a lipstick shade called "Fired Up," a matte orange hue (the color of gun violence prevention awareness), where 100% of profits will go to The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "We're so grateful that The Lipstick Lobby is giving gun violence survivors a platform to tell their stories so that we never forget the need to make real and lasting change," said Kris Brown, co-president of The Brady Campaign.

"Fired Up" ShadeThe Lipstick Lobby

Thistle Farms

While individuals and families from Mexico are seeking asylum, President Trump has decided to close the US border to our southern neighbors. With rising tensions between Mexico and the United States, Thistle Farms creates wellness and hygiene kits that bear messages of love and acceptance. Thistle Farms is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to welcoming thousands of families into the U.S., as well as those who are survivors of human trafficking, prostitution and addiction. By providing hygiene products, a clean pair of clothes and a phone call to reach out to their loved ones, The Humanitarian Respite Center, located in McAllen, Texas, provides these services for free to those in need.

Respite KitsThistle Farms