A Year's Reflection

A Year's Reflection

Time flies when you're having fun.

6
A Year's Reflection

Time flies when you're having fun, or so they say.

The year has had it's ups and downs, and I am lucky that it's been as uplifting as it has been. 2016 has brought me an overwhelming amount of confidence, weight loss, and new opportunities. I've made new friends, developed a wonderful relationship, and let go of toxicity. I gained a purpose, even though sometimes I don't feel like I have one. The professors that have entered my life this year have strengthened my potential, recognized my talent, and have encouraged me along the way. Truly, 2016 has given me more to love than to loathe.

But improvement is always possible. 2017 is bursting with opportunity, and I'd like to bask in it as much as I can.

The following is a list of improvements I hope to make as the year unfolds.

* Stop letting myself feel inferior to others.

* Leave the past where it belongs.

* Live in the moment, worry about shit later.

* Be more open to friendships.

* Be financially cautious.

* Increase productivity daily.

* Be kinder.

* Focus on the positive more than the negative.

* Accept things I cannot change.

* Take care of myself mentally.

* Understand that most things are not permanent.

I don't believe in the "new year, new me" bullshit mantra but I do believe in new beginnings and undiscovered journeys.

When the clock strikes midnight, I'll still be the same person I was. Change doesn't happen just because. Life will still continue exactly as it has been, but the fresh slate will awaken a new sense of wonder.

I'm beyond lucky to live the life I live. I don't know what I did to deserve it.

Often I believe we make it more complicated than it has to be. Constant worry, needs, and wants distract us from the most important part of why we are here. Love, fulfillment, and laughter are often overlooked for the material aspects we claim are important. I'm no different. I'm no exception- but I recognize how foolish we can really be.

Lynyrd Skynrd's "Simple Man" puts it best:

"Forget your lust for the rich man's gold/all that you need is in your soul."

It seems so cheesy, but life really is that simple and it's so often overlooked. All we need in this life is love, happiness, and a will to become better versions of ourselves.

Without it, we are nothing.

After experiencing certain hells, I am forever grateful for the experiences that have shaped my character in more ways than one. I've lost lots and gained tons. The universe is a funny thing. It's terrifying, beautiful, and fierce. Life is very similar.

I hope that as I get older and life drastically changes, I will reach a level of peace that would be unimaginable to younger me. Anything is possible and life is what you make it.

Good luck in the new year. I wish you all the best.