Attending College Close To Home: How To Balance Past And Present

The comforts of home should help, but not interfere with the new environment that is college.

8
Wikipedia

College is both a nerve wracking and exciting time for every new student. It's in a new environment with a bunch of new people; also it is the first time you are away from parents. However, it can be much different if you are attending college close to home. You might see old peers attend the same college as you and be able to see your parents more often. Going to college closer to home requires more balance of your past and present, to be able to fit each piece together requires extra maneuvering of family and friends.

Firstly, attended college close to home means you will see a lot of friendly faces on campus. Peers from your high school might be great to hang out with in your hometown, but try to make different friends with different interest. This will eventually help you change into the person you are supposed to be, which can be difficult if you are surrounded by the same people. Another thing to realize is that people from your high school will be changing as well. The changes both of you make can greatly impact how your relationship last in college. It is sad to say, but some relationships don't make it through. However, I'm not trying to say don't hang out with friends from high school, they can be a really great form of support. It will always be nice to hang out with them back at the home turf, just keep an open mind about meeting new people. One final thought about friends is to not live with your best friend. It might sound like a great idea at a time, and may work for some, but more than likely your relationship will struggle with the stress of being a new adult and spending so much time together.

Secondly, family can be a great support system, but understand that they can't be there for everything. Going away to college means that you are taking that step from being dependent to being independent. It will be a transition, and may be harder for others, but it is possible to do. Make sure you do become more independent. You still will need to connect with family for they are one of the strongest support systems you have, and will always be there for you. Call and see them often, just not every weekend. Learn how to make connections without them and enjoy a few weekend with friends. Also, "distance makes the heart grow fonder" is true, throughout college your relationship with your parents will get better because you aren't hearing or seeing as much of each other.

Going to college close to home involves balancing your past and present and connecting with new people and maintaining connections with others. It's finding yourself in new experiences and growing as a person, while maintaining a safe distance to your always home.