11 Perks Of Going To College Close To Home

You can have just as much staying close to home for college as you can going far away.

10

So you’re going to go to college, great! If you’re anything like me, the only thing on your mind is choosing a good college as far away from home as you can get, without being too obvious that you don’t want to be close to home. I mean come on, you’re graduating! The hardest part life is over, you’re totally an adult now and can handle yourself, so why should you stick around and go to school close to home? I give it about a month of being away from home/everything you know and being completely on your own before you start to rethink everything. Now that’s not to say that some people don’t prosper at colleges/universities far away from home, but before making that huge decision, think about the benefits of staying close to home.

1. In-State Tuition

Let’s face it, we have all seen the numbers for out of state tuition; especially at bigger schools is ridiculous! You could be paying thousands of dollars more, just to get away from mom and dad? Really think about whether that extra $100,000 is actually worth it.

2. Free laundry

When you’re choosing your future college there are a lot of expenses that don’t cross your mind, laundry being one of them. You can only wear that same gray t-shirt so many times in a row before people start to notice. And p.s. guys, cologne does not cover the smell. Going to college close to home means free laundry whenever you want, and your mom will probably be so happy to see you that she will do your laundry for you!

3. Free home cooked meals

Going along with things college students can’t afford: extra food is one of them. Freshman 15? Probably because you’ve had more McDonald's in your first month than you’ve had in the last 4 years of being in high school. That, and if you really think about it, there is only so much you can make in the one microwave you share with the entire floor of your dorm.

4. You will always have a quiet place to study

When you actually get to college, you aren’t going to want to spend a bunch of time on campus. It gets old after a few weeks, and finding a quiet place to study for more than 45 minutes? Forget about it. Just know that at home there is always a place to get away for a few hours.

5. Need help? You know who to call!

So you have made awesome new friends that will answer their phone at anytime and be right there every time you need them. While that might be true, if they are getting trashed at a party late at night you may want to call someone else when your car breaks down on the side of the road. Mom and Dad to the rescue!!

6. Still close to your hometown friends

Everyone is super emotional on move in day, but going to college close to home means you don’t have to say goodbye to very many people, because honestly, you’re probably going to run into them at the grocery store next week.

7. Far enough away from hometown enemies

So you have some enemies, who doesn’t? You’re in college now: you are close enough to the people you do like, but still far enough away to avoid all the people that try to make your life living hell.

8. You already know all the hot spots to hang out, and who throws the best parties

Guess who just became the coolest person ever? That’s right, you! When everyone is lying in their beds and bored out of their minds, you know exactly where to go and all the back roads to get there.

9. You know all the cool hidden places no one goes to

That water fall off the hiking trail in your local state park (that is technically off limits but everyone swims there anyways) is your secret. You don’t have to worry about the out of state people finding it and ruining the quiet, relaxing place it is.

10. Home-sick? No problem!

Yes, even a grown up college student, like yourself, will get homesick every once in a while. Just think about all money (that you don’t have) that you will save on gas going back and forth from home to school. The numbers don’t lie, it’s cheaper.

11. Going home every weekend, without missing anything exciting

There is always that one person that drives 8 hours home every weekend, and misses, EVERYTHING. You on the other hand can go home if you want, and still be close enough to go out if you get that random midnight text to meet your friends somewhere. You have the best of both worlds!