To The Athlete Suffering Through Preseason

From your coach

14
contaencorto

To the athlete suffering through preseason,

I know it's hard, and I know you’re hurting. Trust me, I get it. Whether you want to believe it or not, I have been there too: suffering through the hot days and the restless nights caused by muscle cramps and soreness. I have been there through the aches and pains that can't be solved and just have to be worked through, and I have been through the dehydration that comes, no matter how much water you drink. So when I say to you, as you are sprinting that last 120, “I know, but you can do this,” I mean it.

Contrary to popular belief, I don’t stay up late at night thinking of ways to torture you; rather, I spend countless hours thinking of ways to bring out the best in you. That’s what this madness called preseason is: a chance to push you to your limits and let you see all that you are capable of. So when we are in the 90th minute of that game and we need a last push, you will know without a doubt that you have it within you.

As much as this sucks, and there is no better word for it, I hope you know that you can do this, and you will make it through. Even as you are puking after your two mile run, and frustrated to the point of tears after the last drill of the day, you can do this. The pain you are feeling now will be worth it, and that is one promise I can make you.

It will be worth it come opening night, in front of your friends and family. It will be worth it when that big overtime victory happens. It will be worth it when a championship dream becomes a reality. But most importantly, it will be worth it when the season comes to an end and you know that you gave it everything you had because of the work you put in now.

When I am yelling at you, or have that look of disappointment and frustration on my face, I want you to know that it isn’t all about that you didn’t make your time, or you didn’t play well; it's about me knowing you have more within you. It's understanding that you only have so much time to experience this, and I want you to be all that you can be. I don’t want you to cheat yourself because you are scared of the pain you might experience, or the possibility of failure. I stopped questioning a long time ago if you did your summer packet because that is on you, and I am trying to teach you that what you put in is what you get out; not only on the field, but in life as well. So don’t think that that is my anger. My frustration and emotions come from knowing your potential and questioning why you don’t see what I can see.

Don’t quit. Whatever you do, on every sprint, on every drill, on every shot, don’t quit. Know that I am rooting for you and I truly do believe in you. Preseason is not for the weak-minded, or frail hearted, and you are neither of those. You are a strong, slightly stubborn, determined, and amazing young athlete, and even more so, person. You bring so much to your team every time you run through that last sprint and finish that final pass; so like I said, don’t quit.

I know it is hard right now, and I know you think I am currently the most terrible human in the world, but just know I am doing all of this because I care about you. I believe in you and I want you to have every chance to succeed. So we have a few more sprints left, a lot of playing left to do and a lot of hard days ahead, but just know I believe in you and know that you will get through the tough parts. You are incredibly gifted and I am so thankful to be your coach. You constantly inspire me, and with every run that you push through when you physically can’t, you make me want to be a better coach, and make sure that I am giving you all of me, as you continue to give all of yourself. Continue to cuss me out under your breath, tell everyone how much you hate me, cry over the aches and pains, whatever you need to do to get through; and thank you, from your team, from your school, and from me, for suffering through this madness in order to experience the greatness ahead of us as the season begins.

All my love,

Your Coach

P.s See you at 5:30 am!