An Open Letter To The Women Who Marched

An Open Letter To The Women Who Marched

Calm down, America will be fine.

27
An Open Letter To The Women Who Marched
CBC News

I am the daughter of two Trump supporters. My state is usually a blue state and that did not change this election. My state was rooting for Hillary Clinton, even though my parents voted for Mr. Donald J. Trump.

As the election votes were in, people were outraged and ran into the streets of cities screaming their heads off. I thought to myself, “Why do these protesters think they can change the national voting system? The candidate who won had more electoral vote but less popular votes -- this has happened before. Why all the sudden do you think the government is going to change?”

Fast forward to Inauguration Day. President-elect Donald Trump is at the podium swearing into office. While this is happening protests and marches are brewing. That night violent protests spread throughout Washington DC and the famous Women’s March was the day after. The Women’s March wasn’t just in cities, there were marches throughout out the world, including cities like Melbourne and London.

These marches were actually very remarkable and overwhelming, having hundreds of thousands of women gathering in one city, supporting one thing. And to the coordinators, it must have taken weeks of planning and advertising. I applaud you for that.

But I think everyone is overreacting. This obviously isn’t the first time that a president you voted for did not win. And did you protest about it? I don’t think so. Over 60 million people voted for Mitt Romney and I don’t think any of us saw 60 million people violently protesting in the streets, breaking public windows and destroying mail boxes. It is important to voice your own opinion, but breaking a bank window will not stop Mr.Trump becoming president. Although the women’s march were not practically violent. The message was the same in both marches.

Public protesting was not the only way of expressing your thoughts about our new president. Online is just a violent as it was in the streets. Recently on Facebook, my friend showed me a comment where a woman who supports the march calls a woman who doesn’t support the march a “Nazi cow.” And you say that you defend all women? If you are defending all women, why are you so comfortable calling another woman a very off limit term. And the worst thing is, other supporters, actually agreed with her!

Celebrities also chimed in on this form of of online bullying. Suspended 'SNL' writer, tweets about 10 year old Barron Trump, son of Donald Trump, calling him “this country’s first home school shooter.” Attacking a child, especially the President’s son, is 100% not okay.

Now, think about how this is affecting Donald Trump. There are riots, primarily focused on him, all over the world, his family is getting attacked online, and he barely gotten a chance to show what he will bring to the nation. How would you feel? So, to all the women, who marched, calm down, America will be fine.