An Open Letter To The High School Senior Who Just Got Accepted To Missouri State University

You are about to experience the best four years of your life.

21
personal photo

Keep reading for an inside look into your new home! Missouri State truly is an amazing college with an AMAZING president, Clif Smart. He is my idol and I love him. Anyways, congratulations on being accepted and welcome to MSU!

The Best Dorm on Campus

In my opinion, Blair Shannon is by far the best dorm. BS has a dining hall with amazing pizza, computer lab, etc. The rooms in BS have a small living room and a bathroom that's shared between all suite-mates. We also have two "apartment style" complexes -- Sunvilla Towers and Monroe Apartments. Out of those two Monroe is the best. It comes fully furnished with a smart TV, oven, stove, microwave, washer, and dryer. in addition, every bedroom has its own bathroom which is really nice. Plus, it is really close to the Plaster Student Union, which is the central hub of MSU.

About Springfield, MO

Springfield, Missouri is such a fun and unique town. There's so much history to it that no one really knows. For example, Kickapoo high school is named after a real Indian tribe that lived in the Greene county area. Springfield also earned the name "Queen City of the Ozarks", for good reasons.

Best Places to Eat

1. Springfield Brewing Company: If you go here, you HAVE to get their famous mac-n-cheese. It is to die for. It's even better with fried chicken in it.

2. Cheddar's: Cheddar's is a super yummy yet affordable option for anyone who loves a good home-cooked meal. Cheddar's is definitely known for their crispy chicken tenders and their honey butter croissants.

3. Bambino's: Come here if you want some great Italian food!

4. Insomnia Cookies: Oh my LORD these cookies are the BEST!!! This cookie place is known by all MSU students and is a favorite. They even delivery to your dorm!! The cookies are always warm and freshly cooked. If you ask me, the snickerdoodles are the best. ;)

5. Aviary Cafe: I have never actually eaten here but I've heard it's good.. and it looks cute.

6. Gailey's Breakfast Cafe: Okay listen. Go to Gailey's. Please. It's literally so good. You'll forget about Denny's and Bob Evans.

7. Black Sheep: THE. BEST. BURGERS. These burgers are gourmet and very fancy. Don't worry, if you don't like eccentric food, they have regular burgers.

8. Neighbor's Mill: Another great place to eat.

9. McCallisters: This isn't just in Springfield but of course I had to include it. If you decide to eat at McCallisters, please try their chocolate chip cookie. They make it in house and they're so delicious.

10. First Watch: Also good. A little pricey, but good.

Best Places to Legally Drink

I will warn you, I'm 19 so I don't drink. However, I do know some places that my friends go to!

1. Zan/Boogie

2. Ebbets

3. Discount Smokes

4. Brown Derbie

5. Pbar (Ernie Biggs)

Best Clubs

1. Zan/Boogie: Sketchy on the outside, party on the inside! Yes, it does look hella sketchy on the outside, but the inside is a total vibe. You will love it!

2. Martha's: omg Martha's. This is drag queen CENTRAL. The perfect place for a laddie's night out.

3. Club Rodeo: Club Rodeo is definitely for the younger college students. They play country during the daylight hours, then move to more "club" music at night. Bring your cowboy boots!

MSU's Climate

You will soon find out that, in the Ozarks, you can have all four seasons in one day. There’s no predicting what the weather will be, especially because the weathermen are 90% wrong. I definitely recommend bring an umbrella, rain boots, winter jacket, etc. You never know when you will need them. ALSO campus floods like crazy! You WILL need rain boots. Trust me.

Inside Jokes at MSU

1. "Bear with me": You can probably figure this one out. And yes, people overuse it to the point where I want to pull out my hair.

2. "Boogans": Aka crackheads

3. "Brother Jeb": You will come to hate Brother Jeb. This is a guy who comes to campus regularly to yell and "proclaim the gospel" and tell students they're going to hell. Lovely, right? No. This guy has no love whatsoever. I don't care what he says.

4. "GARST HAS RATS": Garst Dining Hall has great food and also a big vermin problem. There are rats. There are also sometimes ants or spiders in the pepper shakers. Don't be scared though. :) It's fine I'm fine.

Best of Luck to You and Welcome to MSU!

Go out there, make some friends, and HAVE FUN! But of course do your homework, okay? I'm trusting you.