An Open Letter To The Game I Love

An Open Letter To The Game I Love

Love is a strong word but it can easily be said when talking about the game of hockey
6

Ever since the age of 12 roller hockey has been a huge part of my life. Growing up hockey was always around, Sabres games were always on and there was a tremendous hockey presence in my family. This game has given me so much. I have met endless amounts of people throughout my years. People that I can easily say are some of the most inspirational people in my life. The teammates and coaches I have played with and against are a huge part of why I am where I am today. I can only continue to grow with the endless amounts of talent and skill that are in the game. I am in no ways a great player but I can only hope to get there someday. You have to fight, cherish the wins and forgive and forget the losses. That is the only way you will get better and the moment you can accept defeat is when you can truly win. This is my open letter to the game that I love.

Dear Hockey,

Thank you for the memories all of the great times and all of the bad times. You have taught me so many life lessons and there are so many more to be learned. Thank you for all of my teammates the ones who never got down on me and who always stuck around until the final buzzer. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to play with family and friends as it wouldn't be the same without them. In all honesty I have to thank you for all of the losses I have endured because in the end it made me a better player. Losing made me more grateful for all of my wins. Thank you for the last second ties when tensions are running high and the game is tied with 3 seconds left on the scoreboard. This makes me believe and gives me hope that no matter what the game isn't truly over until that final buzzer sounds. This may seem different but thank you for making me get into scrums and fights. This not only makes me stronger but it teaches me lessons. I am lucky to be playing after my knee dislocation, that injury taught me many lessons. Yes I may lead the league in penalty minutes every year but sticking up for my teammates is something I specialize in. Thank you for all of the people who have tried to get me down with their chirps. Words are different than actions, you really want to get through to me take a swing. You have made me stronger than before and now I feel as if nobody can get through to me. Not all of your impacts have been fights, many of them have been friendly encounters. The people of the sport the fans, the parents, the coaches, and the players are what make this game as great as it can be. Without one of these factors the game would be flawed. These people have changed my life and I can only hope they are as much of a factor in my future as they were in the past. You have impacted so many lives, there are many people that cannot live without you. I am one of those people, no bond will ever be closer. Nothing gives me the high that you do and at some times the low. I can trust you with all of my problems and in the end I trust you to fix them. When nobody else is there you are because the game can't leave you, you are the only one who can leave the game. So I'll write my own future and I can only hope you're right by my side until that final buzzer sounds.

Sincerely,

Alex Gill #9