An Open Letter To My High School Cross-Country Coach

This is what you deserve to hear.

498
Katerina Bruce

Dear Coach,

Thank you for taking a sport I knew nothing about and turning it into my passion. I never knew that a sport could mean this much to me and have such a huge impact on my life.

Thank you for being so passionate about what you do. On the trail, you pushed me past my limits both mentally and physically. Your excitement for running was brought to every practice, and in turn, fueled my own passion for running, and made me want to be a better runner for you.

Thank you for caring about me. Your concern extended beyond the workout. You always made sure I was feeling good, and wanted to know if I was having a good day. You were a friend to laugh with, and you were proud of me. I was proud to be your athlete.

Thank you for teaching me how to be the best I could be. You knew how much to push me to make me improve, while respecting my boundaries. You never yelled or got angry when I made a mistake. Instead, you were there to offer constructive criticism and when I fixed a mistake, you let me know you were proud of me. You put your faith in my abilities, telling me, "All it takes is all you got." I am forever grateful for that faith, which helped me to turn my average performance into something unstoppable. You taught me that what I put in is what I'll get back. To have found a coach like you is a blessing. I trust you with my life.

Thank you for being the person that you are. Some of the best life advice I have received came from you, Coach. You always seemed to know the right thing to say in any situation. You were always willing to help me and my teammates reach our goals. You brought our team together as a family, and I've never been happier to be part of a team. You pushed us hard, but you also taught us how to have fun. I hope you know how spectacular you are at your job.

You changed my life in so many ways and without you, I wouldn't be the athlete or the person that I am today. Thank you Coach.

Sincerely,

Your Former (hopefully, still favorite) Athlete