An Open Letter To My Nephew About Our Family

Logan, we love you.

292

Before I met you, I knew I was going to love you because I loved you even when you were a peanut in your mom’s belly. But the day I first met you, I realized I had never felt the amount of love for anyone else. Not for your grandma and grandpa, not even for your momma. I know the love I feel for you isn’t even half of what they feel, but let me tell you one thing, kid - you are loved more then you will ever even be able to fathom. I look at you and all I can see is how perfect you are.

Everyone in the family grew up after we met you. We all put our differences aside to make sure you are raised with nothing but love. My love for your mom and your dad has grown more and more as the days go by. I used to see them at these annoying people (that I’ve always loved) that would just tease me for my choice in guys (or not having a boyfriend). I see them as two incredible parents ready to fight the world for you. I see the way your parents light up when they see you after they’ve been away from you all day.

Here’s a secret - your momma practically raised me. She watched me when grandma and grandpa went to work, helped me with my homework, go me ready for school, and beat the living day light out of me when she thought she had to. Your momma is the most strong willed women I have ever met. I’ve always loved your Mom, I haven’t always liked her but I have always loved her. She isn’t just me sister. She’s my best friend. Some how I can always see in your mom eyes when she’s not okay and someday I know you will too. It’ll worry you, but if there’s one thing I know about her is that I know she’s going to handle it herself… Another thing about your momma… DO NOT TEST HER. She will do exactly what she told you she’d do if you don’t do what she says. She will embarrass you, she will take your phone away, she will do what ever to get her point across. She is exactly like your Grandma, she doesn’t think so but she is you grandma. I notice more and more similarities every day. Your mom, like your grandma will speak her mind even if you don’t want to hear it (but it’s what you need to hear, trust me). Lastly, your momma loves you so much, I know I don’t have to tell you that. But it’s something you need to know, even when you tell her you don’t like her, or she’s embarrassing, or when you tell her to leave you alone one day she’ll still love you, she’ll always forgive you because that’s just who your mom is.

Now your dad… He annoys the shit out of me, but he’s the big brother I always wish I had had. He’ll probably give you more wet willies in a day then one would like in a life time. He’ll deliberately try to annoy you mom by pinching her cheeks or sticking his finger in her ear (and it’ll work) but he does it because he loves her. Your daddy works hard and a lot. He loves to play with you and I can see him being a soccer dad one day. He’s your biggest fan (along with all of us). He’ll fight for you both literally and figuratively. Sometimes he’ll annoy you too. Your dad cares so much about you and your mom. I know that if he could he’d buy you both the whole world. He’s strong willed and opinionated, and will speak his mind if you ask him too but will keep to himself if you don’t want to hear it. Your dad is going to be the kind of dad that’s always fixing the house up, like you grandpa. And one day you’ll learn to be his helper. If he’s anything like my dad he’ll appreciate any kind of help he can get, help him when ever you get a chance, because one day you’ll be 20 years old wishing you could help your dad do something but you’ll be at college or to busy to help. Lastly, your daddy loves you so much, I know I don’t have to tell you that. But it’s something you need to know, even when you tell him you don’t like her, or he’s embarrassing, or when you tell him to leave you alone one day he’ll still love you, he’ll always forgive you because that’s just who your mom is.

Your grandma and grandpa, oh boy are they going to spoil you. I know you still a little peanut right now but I know that they are going to be over backwards to give you what ever you want. You’ll notice that your mom and I don’t always agree with your grandparents. Sometimes we’ll have strong debates about things that you’ll find doesn’t really matter, but at the end of the day we’ll let it go because they’re “old”. You’ll notice your grandma repeats herself a lot, it’s not because she old, it’s just who she is. Your grandpa will mimic your behind her back to make your mom and I laugh, and he never fails at that. They’ll roll their eyes at each other and sometimes you’ll come over and one will be in the basement and the other will be upstairs… yes they got into an argument… no do not ask about it. TRUST ME. Just you walking into the house will cause what ever they’re arguing about to be irrelevant. Lastly, your grand parents love you so much, I know I don’t have to tell you that. But it’s something you need to hear it from someone else, even when you tell them you don’t like them, or they’re embarrassing, or when you tell them to leave you alone one day they’ll still love you, they’ll always forgive you because that’s just who your they are.

Lastly, me; I cry a lot. I don’t only cry when I’m sad, I cry when I’m happy, I cry when I’m mad, I cry when I’m frustration, sometimes I cry just because I feel like it. I get very defensive. I like to use facts to prove my point. I’m a nerd when it comes to science, so don’t ask me questions unless you want a five-page paper on salt. I’m fun and I’m weird. I take things personally. And your mom and I are alike in more ways then one, which is why we seem like we don’t get along. But boy, do I love that lady. I promise to protect you and be the person you can come to when you need help or are in trouble (I do not promise to not tell your mom, though). I promise to tell your mom when she’s being extra, even if it gets me in trouble. I’ll embarrass the shits out of you. I’ll pinch your cheeks up until the day I die. I’m sure if I’ll have kids, but whether I do or not I’ll always love you as if you were one of my own. I will fight for you, I’m sure you’ll learn to trick me into doing things. Lastly, your I love you so much, I know I tell you that all the time. But it’s something you need to know, even when you tell me you don’t like me, or I’m embarrassing, or when you tell me to leave you alone one day I’ll still love you, I’ll always forgive you because that’s just who I am.

Logan, we love you. We always will. We fight a lot. You’ll hear me say we’re dysfunctional. But no one loves you more then we do.