An Open Letter To Kevin Durant

An Open Letter To Kevin Durant

Family is forever.

133
An Open Letter To Kevin Durant
Static flickr

Dear KD,

It's been a great ride. Nine seasons in the NBA, eight of them in Oklahoma City. You've had a finals appearance, a MVP trophy (with a memorable acceptance speech), an Olympic gold medal, 7 All-Star games and 4 scoring titles. You've been inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame, had your jersey retired by the University of Texas, signed several major endorsement deals, and dabbled in acting.

But now it's time. You graciously avoided discussing your future during the season, a necessity if the Thunder were to avoid controversy. But now, the season is over, and it's time to decide.

Stay or leave?

That question has been on the hearts and minds of the Thunder faithful all season. We’re nervous. We want you to stay, but the same silence that avoided creating controversy couldn't avoid creating a sense of uneasiness.

The state of Oklahoma has a long, proud history. The people that originally settled here created something out of nothing, working hard, building family, and enduring the adversity posed by Oklahoma’s natural environment. Our history includes football championships, oil booms, cattle drivers, rodeos, railroads, land runs, Native American culture, and so much more. But there was one thing it was missing: professional sports.

Until the Thunder came. In 2008, Oklahoma woke up to the news that a NBA franchise called the Seattle Supersonics had decided to relocate, moving from the cold, wet Northwest to the warm prairies and blue skies of Oklahoma City. The state was stunned. No team had even chosen Oklahoma before. We were the leftovers, the last resorts, the media market that didn't really exist. No major business or team had valued Oklahoma until the Thunder came.

And who was at the center of the Thunder? A former #2 overall draft pick coming off a rookie of the year award, Kevin Durant. As you grew as a player, the state grew with you. We watched you, Russ, Serge, and Harden shock the world with a 2011 Finals appearance. We grew together with you during the Moore tornadoes, shocked by your generous gift of $1 million, and inspired to do more with what we have. We stuck with you through the injuries, shooting slumps, media criticism, and rumors. The state of Oklahoma loves you like it has never loved anyone before.

Now, we ask you to trust us. Trust us to fill the roster, the stands, and the streets in support of the Thunder. Trust us to remain loyal. Trust us to never lose faith. But finally, trust us to enjoy the ride with you and celebrate when we get over that hump.

A lot of professional athletes talk about their legacy. Some care about money, some care about power, some care about championships, while others focus on their community. But when I think about Kevin Durant, I can't put him into one of those boxes. To me, and to our state, Kevin Durant is family. Family endures, regardless of differences, trials, or obstacles. Family is formed in the bonds of love and respect, and perfected with time.

Oklahomans care about you KD. You are one of us, yet you can speak for all of us. We want you here, for 2016 and for the rest of your career and life. I've watched the 2011 finals in a hotel in Jamaica, and the 2016 Western Conference Finals in Rome. Give me the opportunity to watch another game in an exotic location, and give the state of Oklahoma the chance it has earned to become the champion we all know it can be.

Sincerely,

Oklahoma