To First Semester Freshmen From A Last Semester Senior

Enjoy the next 4 years while you can!!

25
Huffington Post

Dear First Semester Freshmen,

Congratulations! You are officially a college student. You are taking your first steps towards not only your career, but into adulthood as well. College will teach you a thing or two in the classroom, but it's also what you do outside the classroom that will make an impact on your life. Sure, you'll go to a few parties here and there and you may stay up 'til 4 AM to cram for that statistics midterm, but hey, sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. I've been through it all as a college student. The late night study sessions, drinking 15 cups of coffee during finals week, binge eating in the cafeteria to get over my sadness; I've been there. I am here to give you advice on how to get through the next 4 years of your college career.

Get Organized

I cannot emphasize this enough. Having an organized schedule from classes to free time to homework will keep you sane. No matter how much work you have, get it done. Do not wait until the last possible minute to get your work done. Because not only will you stress out over it. but your work will be a mess. Buy a planner, highlight the important tasks for the day. Just do anything you can to remove the clutter and get things done.

Get Involved

Getting involved on campus was one of the best things I've done in college. It's one of the best ways to make friends and have fun along the way. Find a club that suits your interests or start your own club. Rush for a Greek Life organization. Do some volunteer work or become an RA. You may even become a leader and learn what it takes to lead a group.

Pick A Major That Suits You Best

It's okay to go into college as an Undeclared major. It's okay if you do not know what you want to do after college. Switching majors and adding a second one (plus a minor) made my life worthwhile and it gave me more career and post-grad options. Take courses that suit your interests in terms of what you might want to do. Get your general/core classes out of the way so later on you can focus on your selected major. Pick one that will get you a career.

Beware of What You Eat

You may like or dislike what your cafeteria has to offer. You may order take out every once in a while. You may binge on what food you brought with you from home. It's okay to splurge every now and again but beware of the dreaded Freshman 15. I was affected by it and it impacted my body quite a bit. Treat yourself after a hard week, but make sure your diet is as balanced as possible. Don't forget your fruits and veggies. You'll thank me later.

Study and Get Work Done

What you do within the next 4 or so years will determine a lot. Your classes will be harder than what high school was like. A semester is only 15 weeks long. If you do not pass an exam or two or miss too many classes, you can and possibly fall behind. Take notes whenever possible. Ask questions. Take time to actually read and study. Struggling? There are tutors who will help you out. Your grades and GPA matter. Make sure you work hard and get those high grades.

It Doesn't Hurt to Work or Get an Internship

By getting a job you can earn some money for books, paying bills, or for yourself. By working you will get experience in cooperation, computer skills, money handling, etc. I have a job where I gained experience for my future career. Internships will also help you gain experience in the field of your choice. Grad schools and jobs will praise you for your high knowledge and high levels of experience.

Overall: HAVE FUN

Believe it or not, the next 4 years will go by faster than you think. Enjoy every single moment while you can. Embrace all the memories, both good and bad. College doesn't just have to be hard work. You can still have fun along the way. As long as you have some good friends, good grades, and a great campus life, then college will be a blast for you!

Good luck and enjoy the next 4 years!!

Love,

A Last Semester Senior