Five Bible Verses To Help You During Sorority Recruitment

The Life, The Truth and The Way.

5095

I went through sorority recruitment just last year as a freshman. My anxiety was at an all-time high, I didn't know what to expect, and I prayed every day that the Lord would lead me to the right house. If you are anything like I am, I did my research and knew more about the sororities at my school than the average PNM (Potential New Member). I had older friends in just about every single house on the row, which only made the process a little bit harder. I'm the type of person who likes to please people (I mean, who doesn't), but I knew in the long run I had to make the best decision for myself.

Being a member for almost a full year now, I look back on this past year and continuously tell myself to help the younger girls. I only want this for all PNMs because I wish I could have had someone to tell me what was okay and what wasn't. I know it probably would have been easier for me during my first year. Just a few words of wisdom would have gone a long way for a girl who thought she knew so much, but in reality knew so little. During this process I leaned on Jesus a lot. I asked for countless prayers and prayed a lot. Though it was an emotional experience, I could not have done it without my support system and the Lord.

My goal is to help every PNM realize that the Lord will have your back through this journey, and all you need to do is rely on Him.

Read these Bible verses throughout recruitment to help relieve yourself of a little anxiety:

1. "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." — Exodus 14:14
I visited this verse often not only during rush, but my first year in general. I was so anxious and confused about the future (I'm going to be honest, I still am), but this verse spoke to me multiple times and helped me through tough times. I have to say this is probably my favorite.

2. "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." — Proverbs 31:25
This verse told me that no matter how hard this process may seem and how unfair it is at times, the Lord has my back. He believes in me when I don't believe in myself. He knows that if I lean on Him, I won't have anxiety of His future plans.

3. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." — John 16:33
John 16:33 taught me that no matter the trouble I face in this world, I can overcome it. I need only to "take heart" where I will find peace.

4. "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." — Romans 12:12
A verse like this is one you should visit just about everyday. Be joyful because there is so much hope for yourself whether you believe it or not. Be patient in affliction because regardless if you feel like life isn't going your way at the moment there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. And always pray. Prayer will get you a long way. This is your form of talking with Jesus, and He is always there to listen. Never forget that.

5. "Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." — 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Here's another verse you should be reminded of daily. I learned that joy is so much more than happiness could ever be. Prayer helped me time and time again, no matter the circumstance. I learned to pray for not selfish reasons, but to thank the Lord for everything and where I stand in life. I remind myself to be thankful for everything because I am the person today because of what I have gone through in my lifetime, but on His terms and His plan for me.

I only hope that each PNM takes away something from these verses. I hope you pray a lot and either build or strengthen your relationship with Jesus through this time and even after. I cannot reiterate enough how much you will need Him this upcoming year and years to come. Don't worry too much and trust the process. The right home will be there at the end of your journey.