America, Calm Down
Politics

America, Calm Down

A quick refresher of your high school government class and why Trump being President shouldn't freak you out.

7
America, Calm Down
The man who stares at toys

The recent hysteria surrounding the election has caused panic is so many and all those people need a refresher on how the United States government really functions. The president is not a dictator and what he says isn't what is going to happen. There are literally hundreds of people that have to agree and vote on anything he wants to implement. The U.S. has a government set up unlike any other and is successful because of it. Check and balances separate power and gives three sections of government equal power to keep everything in check. Here's a refresher from your high school government class.

Executive Branch

1 President, 1 Vice-President, 15 Cabinet members

The President can propose laws.

He can veto laws.

The president nominates judges for the Supreme Court

He negotiates foreign treaties.

Legislative Branch

100 Senators, 435 Representatives

Before the President can even serve, congress must approve the Presidential nomination.

Congress can impeach judges and the President.

Controls the entire U.S. budget.

Creates laws and can override the President's veto.

Congress can declare war.

Judicial Branch

9 Judges

Has the ability to declare laws unconstitutional.

Can declare acts of the President unconstitutional

Example

President-elect Trump has talked about building a wall around the border of Mexico. Let try to see how that would actually work.

First, let's say he creates the bill called "The Wall". He writes how it will be funded, how long it will be, where it will go, who will build it etc. and sends it to congress. It must go to either the House of Representatives or the Senate sub-committees. For this example, "The Wall" bill goes to a House committee and it's debated and voted on and either gets vetoed and dies in committee or is sent to the floor of the entire House of Representatives. "The Wall" is debated and voted on in the entire House of Representatives and can die or be sent to the senate. We'll say "They Wall" is sent to the Senate. The same process of debating and voting happens in the Senate and let's say they vote yes on the bill as well. It then goes to the President who can approve it and it becomes a law or can be vetoed. If it is vetoed it goes back to congress who can override his veto if they have 2/3 majority vote. On top of that whole process, it can be seen my the Supreme court who may decide it is unconstitutional and kill "The Wall" before it can be enforced as a law.

Just to put in perspective how long this process is, The Affordable Care Act proposed by President Obama took 3 years to be a law and is still being changed to this day. On top of all the debating and voting, congress can make changes to the bill and every time something is changed it has to go through that ENTIRE process again!

Whether or not you voted for Donald Trump, he really doesn't have as much power as you think he does. Heck, if he decides to do something totally radical, the Supreme Court can declare him unconstitutional and then congress will impeach him. You don't have to like him, but trust in your government and hope you like you congressmen and women.