My Thoughts on this Year's Election
Politics

My Thoughts on this Year's Election

Although I don't like to talk politics, this election was definitely one to remember.

16
My Thoughts on this Year's Election
Jeff Brown

Let me first say this; I hate politics. I think that they cause most of our country's problems, and as a result, I try not to give my opinion on them. However, it was almost impossible to avoid this type of election, especially considering the circumstances between both Hillary Clinton, and Donald Trump. Hillary was the "lying crook", while Trump was the "racist and sexist."

To be honest, because there were so many heavy opinions about both parties, this will probably go down as one of the most personal, and most intriguing elections of all time. No matter what, whoever the losing side was, people would be furious and outraged. So it was no shock that riots plagued the country after Donald Trump was shockingly elected president of the United States.

Now because I was going to a liberal and diverse college like Salem State University, it was no surprise to me that the majority of the school supported Hillary. From the beginning I could tell that this would be very personal for a lot of people if Trump were to win. And when he did, saying that people were outraged is a strong understatement.

I'm a white, straight male who grew up in a middle class suburban city. People say that now that Trump is president, life will be better for people like me. I don't care about that though. I just hope that I never have to witness what I saw on election night again. Or even the preceding days for that matter.

Regardless of my theories and opinions, it sickened me to see my friends get so upset after the results. I will always support them and respect their opinions, so seeing them get emotional was hard to watch. I just hope that Trump said his controversial comments just to get votes, and didn't actually mean them.

If election night wasn't bad enough, the riots in the days after were even worse. It was revolting to watch people almost kill each other over who was elected president of the United States. It's also nauseating to see people burn our flag because of the results. The disunity of the country right now is disgusting.

I won't share who I wanted to be president however, I will always be a supporter for human rights over anything else. I'd rather have an incompetent president than a racist, sexist, and homophobic president. But at the same time, I care more about unifying the country first, then worry about what Trump will do in his four years of presidency.

This is why every vote counts. Just because I am a white straight male doesn't mean I don't care about other people and how they live their life. I think that it would be foolish to not at least give Trump a chance. The fate of this country is definitely questionable, but the best thing that the United States of America can do right now is, be optimistic.