Why I Will Always Stand For The National Anthem

My patriotism will always be held above all else.

147
Pixels Talk

I am the daughter of an Army Captain. I was born on Fort Lewis Army Base outside of Tacoma, Washington. My father has not been an active member of the armed forces for 18 years, but I still recognize that I ought to hold those who serve above all else because of the sacrifices they make. Without them, I wouldn't be able to live as I do.

When the national anthem is sung in a public place, it is sung to the American flag with a hand held over the hearts of those listening (or standing at attention for those in the military). Holding your hand over your heart signifies you are giving your heart to your nation.

In recent weeks, athletes have publicly disrespected the flag and the national anthem before sporting events. They have sat or kneeled during the playing of the anthem in their own twisted form of protest. These athletes have cited everything from police violence to mistreatment of the LGBQT+ community as the cause for their protest against the American government and system. Many of the athletes protesting are members of these minority groups and view themselves as a sort of representative for the group. What they really are is a representative of irony.

Professional athletes are paid up to millions of dollars a year; they are paid much more than the average American to ultimately play a game. As an athlete myself, I know and respect the amount of work that is put in to be able to compete at a high level. However, as a college student that is struggling to make ends meet to make tuition payments, I find this annoying.

Americans earning millions of dollars a year to live a lifestyle that many only dream of are protesting the national anthem and American flag because they represent our government and nation? Americans who have been gifted lives of fame and fortune to represent our nation publicly cannot bother to stand during our anthem? Americans who live in a world where they are only safe because there are men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice cannot be bothered to stand during a song?

When I stand for the national anthem, I feel pride welling in my chest. Pride and happiness because I live in a nation where I am able to stand and publicly declare my patriotism. A nation where as a woman, I am given the opportunity to be whoever I want and do whatever I want to do with my life. A nation where I do not fear internal warfare or external threats.

The national anthem represents all that is great about the nation that we are blessed to call home. The national anthem represents what those overseas are fighting for every single day. By standing for the anthem, you are respecting both the nation that you have the luxury to live in and those who represent it.

If you are still unsure about what the anthem means to someone who is serving the country, I invite you to watch this video of Rio Olympian and US Army 2nd Lieutenant Sam Kendricks stopping mid-attempt in order to stand at attention when he hears the anthem being played.

When the national anthem is played, I have always immediately jumped to my feet. But now when the anthem is played, I jump to my feet and stand at attention. I am the daughter of an Army Captain, and I am proud to be training to become an officer myself.