All The Way To CCA

All The Way To CCA

a game changer

31
All The Way To CCA
google images

This past weekend I spent my time at a charity golf tournament. Those who know me know golf is certainty not a hobby of mine or a sport I understand. But, the golf tournament was to help raise money for an organization that I do love and has had a significant impact on who I am today. Children's Craniofacial Association helps families whose lives have been affected by a child who was born with a facial abnormality that ultimately permeates their lives in a number of both devastating and positive facets. I say positive because if it wasn't for looking differently, we would never have had the opportunity to meet one another amongst a plethora of other things.

As for my sister and I, our lives have been a map without clear directions. Together, we have been forced to navigate this long and unfamiliar daunting road. My family's "normal" was altered and changed forever when my twin sister and I entered the world.

My twin sister and I were first introduced to and became a part of "CCA" in 2005. Since then, we have been exposed to some of our country's greatest doctors and have been given a second family. We have also had the opportunity to attend a retreat each summer with families whose "medical life" is similar to ours. This year, we decided to attend "All The Way to CCA" golf tournament. My day was long but easily the most rewarding and fulfilling day I've had. I gained relationships I will cherish and memories that'll last a lifetime. I was reminded how resilient children are and how great of an impact a health condition can have on a family and it's community. But, most importantly, I learned that there is good in the world. Tons of it. It isn't often showcased in the news like it should be. But, there are so many great people who are worthy of all the praise and love in the world.

This weekend, I witnessed pure selflessness and devotion of time and money from countless people. As a result, I can't stop smiling. This weekend was microcosm of what this charity has become and the role it has played on families' lives and surrounding communities. This past weekend, we raised $107,000 and left a piece of our hearts on a golf course.

I often say this life I was given is both a curse and a blessing. Something that I thought one day would not be a part of who I am and the syndrome that describes why I look differently than the "normal" human being would no longer play a dominant factor in who I am and grow to be. I realized that I could not have been more wrong. That does not mean it is all of my life and it never will be. It has ultimately lead me to the greatest people like those I have been introduced to at the golf tournament. I was given this life for a reason. Some of which I may fully never comprehend. But, one thing is for sure, I wouldn't trade the relationships I now have or the memories that won't decay for anything.