All For The Common Good

All For The Common Good

Racism and discrimination has been awaken from it's coma.

45
All For The Common Good
Zach Becka

With the results of the most recent presidential election, it has rekindled the fire that is racism in the United States.

It has been awaken with hate language, violence, and fear.

Everywhere throughout society, people are under attack.

Same sex couples are afraid to walk with each other, African Americans fear for the return of open racism, Hispanic people fear for deportation and the loss of their homes, and Muslim people fear for the inability to practice their religion.

The attacks are hitting especially close to home.

Recently on our campus, there was an incident of hate speech graffiti on a sidewalk by one of our dorms. The graffiti was simple, just the N word. The University reported to have identified three students who were responsible for the graffiti, but they haven't released what their punishment will be at this time.

I believe that the University should have a long lasting punishment for these students that will actually make a difference because expulsion or legal action will not solve the problem. Learning to love and accept each other is a far greater lesson to learn, and a lot of people don't understand how much they can hurt someone by their actions. By encouraging them in a therapeutic class as apart of their punishment, it will help reveal the impact their actions had and refine their negative attitudes.

I am appalled at the actions taken by my fellow students at our university. This college is prides itself and is founded on Catholic beliefs. Our slogan is, "For the common good". This is represented on our banners, in our mission statement and constantly being repeated by our staff. College is a place for people to be themselves and to learn about how about different people and different cultures. If people are afraid to be themselves this limits the ability to learn about these things.

With all of the racism and discrimination in society, we should not be having it at our university. We should be looking out for each other. During my freshman orientation, I will never forget what a speaker told us, "Tommies, we lookout for each other. Tommies take care of each other. It's what we do". Excitement and joy ran throughout my body when I heard those words. I was ready to be apart of a close knit community where everybody was looking out for one another. But, evidentially this is not the case. Clearly some Tommies take the mission statement and caring for one another more seriously than others.

With all of the changes in our society that has been taking place in recent years in order to make everyone feel accepted and a full member of our society, it seems as if all of that acceptance has gone out the windows the minute the election results came in.

People are afraid to be who they truly are! This is very frustrating to me. A fellow student mentioned during one of our class discussions that, the Muslim community understands if someone chooses not to wear their hijab, in order to stay out of harms way. This is soul crushing. Someone is afraid to show who they are or their beliefs for fear of violence, hate language, or discrimination.

We, as a student body, need to end racism on our campus. We need to look out for one another. If we notice prejudice or discrimination we need to end it. Whether it is telling a faculty member, standing up for the person who is being hurt, or going to rallies that support Anti-Racism. Actions need to be done to get the security of our students back onto our campus. People should not be afraid to express who they are.

As for our professors, allow time for students to express their feelings. One of my professors allowed us to take time and express our feelings in a safe environment. This gave me a feeling of hope and security. I left that class with a sense that we are all in this together. Faculty or student, we all have feelings and fears that need to be expressed in a safe environment. The more we talk about how we feel, the more connected we become to one another.

My heart breaks for anyone who is a minority, in the LGBTQ community, or a woman. I am privileged enough to be a white man and I strongly believe that the beliefs of our soon to be president do not reflect who we are as a country. Our country is better than what is being reflected by society.

It seems to me that "Make America Great Again" is only going to be great for white Christian males.

Stay strong, stay safe, and stand up for what you believe.